1993 Ford F150 gas milage

I have a 1993 f150 with a 5 liter and automatic transmission. I'm currently getting about thirteen mpg. Is there any way to get more? Thanx!!

Reply to
cpca

Yup!. check the fuel pressure regulator. Make sure it is properly tuned and the timing is properly set. Not everyone knows how to set the timing resulting in very retarded timing. They also have a problem with FPR failure. The FPR was/is under recall. If it fails, it goes to full fuel pressure. If you pull the vacuum hose from it and find fuel, you need go no further - just replace it. If it looks OK, check the fuel pressure. There is also a possibility that the EGR port to the throttle body is plugged which will drop fuel mileage. Mine runs around 14.5-15 in town and

17-17.5 on the road at 70MPH. You may also consider the fuel you may be getting if it is an ethanol blend.. Ethanol blends do not contain the energy of pure gasoline resulting in higher fuel consumption. Here in the Atlanta area, the Feds are forcing us to use a crap blend that gets poor mileage and performance at a higher cost while not being as effective at polution reduction as the product we were previously using.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Good ole feds saving the US consumers from themselves. You can thank the agro lobby and tree huggers for the E10 blends, etc. More money spent at the pump justified by bad science.

Reply to
sleepdog

What they don't know is that once we burn all the corn, we start on the trees. Using oil instead of wood may actually have saved our forest over the last 100 years.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Thanx! This may sound stupid, but where is the FPR located? Thanx again.

Reply to
cpca

Uh... but when do we get to the coal?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I don't know specifically on your vehicle, but generally the fuel pressure regulator is attached to the fuel rail, should have a vacuum line attached to it from the intake manifold.

Reply to
sleepdog

Stanley Steamer !

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

Thanx! Here in Iowa Ethanol is king! Where's the nitrogen?

Reply to
cpca

Left side top of engine between rocker cover and upper intake about 3/4 way back and next to ignition coil. Sorry I don't have a pitsur fur ya.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Thanx! Lugnut, keep yourself tight!

Reply to
cpca

That's too much work at my age - only fond memories.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Toyota Prius.

Reply to
Jeff

Thanx! but I'm a U.A.W. man so I'd have to go with the Escape.

Reply to
cpca

Unfortunately, I can haul more in my back pocket than your Prius can haul in several trips. Besides, I don't like cars that I feel like I'm wearing instead of driving.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Gee - do you think that paying all this money to Arabs who fund terrorists is a good idea?

If we had invested in alternate sources of energy - like Brazil did with ethanol 15 years ago - do you think we too could be paying a dollar less a gallon for ethanol that would burn in flex fuel vehicles?

We could keep all that money here in the US instead of sending it overseas. Means good jobs for American farmers, auto workers, ethanol distillers, etc.

Why on Earth would you want to dig up and rape the land to get to coal?

Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Reply to
usenet

No more than giving it to Texas oilmen who fund Bush.

Yes. But we can't go back 15 years.

We can start now, however.

Because you can use the chemical energy stored in coal.

Jeff, great-grandson of a coal mine fireboss.

Reply to
Jeff

We invested in ethanol one hundred years ago. Apparently this is news to you?

Scott

At 230,000,000 vehicles in the US, for every one vehicle in Brazil there is probably 150 in the US. Until microbe production is perfected, with current technology even if we planted half of the county, we could not produce nearly enough ethanol economically to meet a third of our current needs for a motor fuel. Currently the best ethanol can do is slow our consumption increases.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What I want to know is how are we going to distribute all of the ethanol all over the country? They are burning off natural gas at the wells because the lines are full and the environuts will not stand still if they try to build more NG lines. How in the world will they build a whole new distribution system for ethanol? Current environmental laws will not allow ethanol to be added at the gasoline pumping stations Imagine how the kooks on the left will react if the President removed the restrictions that would effect any current environmental laws LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter