1993 Ford Mustang transmission problems

I recently purchased a 1993 Ford Mustang and it has major tranny problems. When you put it in gear (Drive) it takes a lot of gas to get the car to mov
e. When you stop and put it in park, it still feels like it is in gear. It feels like it wants to go forward but the parking pawl is stopping it. It a lso has no reverse. Could this be torque converter problems? I took the pan off and when the gear selector is moved from gear to gear, the valves seem to be moving freely in the valve body. The fluid was red and had no smell to it other then transmission fluid smell, not burnt. There was no metal at tached to the magnet in the pan as well. I am stumped, any and all help wou ld be appreciated.. George--

its not torque converter, I would recheck the manual shift adj first. KB
On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 22:16:35 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Bottorff

sure would be to have a transmission tech do pressure tests. When in park, if you step on the accellerator the engine behaves as if you are in drive with the brakes on???? Adding Ford Friction Modifier to the fluid sometimes frees up sticky valves - but if they are totally stuck (which it sounds like) I doubt if it will work. I'd count on a repair/rebuild or replacement
That is what I was afraid of. You hit the nail on the head when you said it s like stepping on the gas peddle with the brake on. It takes a half thrott le or more to get it to move forward. There is no reverse. When you put it in reverse, it just keeps trying to go forward. Like I said, I have the pan off and the valves all seem to be working correctly. At least the ones I c an see that is. I guess the previous owner got the car stuck in sand and by shifting back and forth from forward to reverse, this problem occurred. I don't know how much they abused it getting it out of the sand but I am sure they did more harm then good. I was hoping it was going to be a fairly eas y and inexpensive fix but its not looking that way...
On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 18:03:46 -0800 (PST), George Niland

to come by - and a lot cheaper than rebuilding.
On Saturday, February 22, 2014 7:41:13 PM UTC-7, Clare wrote:

ottle or more to get it to move forward. There is no reverse. When you put it in reverse, it just keeps trying to go forward. Like I said, I have the pan off and the valves all seem to be working correctly. At least the ones I can see that is. I guess the previous owner got the car stuck in sand and by shifting back and forth from forward to reverse, this problem occurred. I don't know how much they abused it getting it out of the sand but I am s ure they did more harm then good. I was hoping it was going to be a fairly easy and inexpensive fix but its not looking that way...

Hard to find a used tranny where I live.. They crush all of the cars that c ome in now instead of parting them out.
On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 18:45:22 -0800 (PST), George Niland

Around here they part out theengines and trannies unless they have too much in stock - and crush the rusted bodies and surplus stuff. Usually sits in the yard for a few months before being crushed.
On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 18:45:22 -0800 (PST), George Niland

used.
On Saturday, February 22, 2014 1:57:39 PM UTC-7, George Niland wrote:

ove. When you stop and put it in park, it still feels like it is in gear. I t feels like it wants to go forward but the parking pawl is stopping it. It also has no reverse. Could this be torque converter problems? I took the p an off and when the gear selector is moved from gear to gear, the valves se em to be moving freely in the valve body. The fluid was red and had no smel l to it other then transmission fluid smell, not burnt. There was no metal attached to the magnet in the pan as well. I am stumped, any and all help w ould be appreciated..

n? I have looked everywhere around here and there are no trannys for that c ar, to be had. Guess I will be doing some traveling.. Dang it.
On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 20:01:52 -0800 (PST), George Niland

shop OR Ford dealer.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

to be honest, if they got stuck they cooked it, just get a rebuilt. KB