1993 Ford Mustang transmission problems

I recently purchased a 1993 Ford Mustang and it has major tranny problems. When you put it in gear (Drive) it takes a lot of gas to get the car to mov e. When you stop and put it in park, it still feels like it is in gear. It feels like it wants to go forward but the parking pawl is stopping it. It a lso has no reverse. Could this be torque converter problems? I took the pan off and when the gear selector is moved from gear to gear, the valves seem to be moving freely in the valve body. The fluid was red and had no smell to it other then transmission fluid smell, not burnt. There was no metal at tached to the magnet in the pan as well. I am stumped, any and all help wou ld be appreciated.. George--

Reply to
George Niland

George Niland wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

its not torque converter, I would recheck the manual shift adj first. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

My guess would be a stuck valve somewhere. The only way to know for sure would be to have a transmission tech do pressure tests. When in park, if you step on the accellerator the engine behaves as if you are in drive with the brakes on???? Adding Ford Friction Modifier to the fluid sometimes frees up sticky valves - but if they are totally stuck (which it sounds like) I doubt if it will work. I'd count on a repair/rebuild or replacement

Reply to
clare

That is what I was afraid of. You hit the nail on the head when you said it s like stepping on the gas peddle with the brake on. It takes a half thrott le or more to get it to move forward. There is no reverse. When you put it in reverse, it just keeps trying to go forward. Like I said, I have the pan off and the valves all seem to be working correctly. At least the ones I c an see that is. I guess the previous owner got the car stuck in sand and by shifting back and forth from forward to reverse, this problem occurred. I don't know how much they abused it getting it out of the sand but I am sure they did more harm then good. I was hoping it was going to be a fairly eas y and inexpensive fix but its not looking that way...

Reply to
George Niland

Easy, but not cheap. Decent used transmissions should not be too hard to come by - and a lot cheaper than rebuilding.

Reply to
clare

its like stepping on the gas peddle with the brake on. It takes a half thr ottle or more to get it to move forward. There is no reverse. When you put it in reverse, it just keeps trying to go forward. Like I said, I have the pan off and the valves all seem to be working correctly. At least the ones I can see that is. I guess the previous owner got the car stuck in sand and by shifting back and forth from forward to reverse, this problem occurred. I don't know how much they abused it getting it out of the sand but I am s ure they did more harm then good. I was hoping it was going to be a fairly easy and inexpensive fix but its not looking that way...

Hard to find a used tranny where I live.. They crush all of the cars that c ome in now instead of parting them out.

Reply to
George Niland

Where are you that scrap is worth more than parts??? Around here they part out theengines and trannies unless they have too much in stock - and crush the rusted bodies and surplus stuff. Usually sits in the yard for a few months before being crushed.

Reply to
clare

1986 - 93 4 speed automatic - AOD - pretty common part - about $650 used.
Reply to
clare

. When you put it in gear (Drive) it takes a lot of gas to get the car to m ove. When you stop and put it in park, it still feels like it is in gear. I t feels like it wants to go forward but the parking pawl is stopping it. It also has no reverse. Could this be torque converter problems? I took the p an off and when the gear selector is moved from gear to gear, the valves se em to be moving freely in the valve body. The fluid was red and had no smel l to it other then transmission fluid smell, not burnt. There was no metal attached to the magnet in the pan as well. I am stumped, any and all help w ould be appreciated..

I wonder what it would cost to get a pressure check done on the transmissio n? I have looked everywhere around here and there are no trannys for that c ar, to be had. Guess I will be doing some traveling.. Dang it.

Reply to
George Niland

Should be about an hour's labour to diagnose at a good transmission shop OR Ford dealer.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

to be honest, if they got stuck they cooked it, just get a rebuilt. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff