1993 Ford Probe [Classy Car ;-) ] won't 'king start. Help!??

We have a '93 Ford Probe 18v Fuel Injection, which has a new battery in it. It needed jump-starting for a few days, which was puzzling given the new battery. It is now sitting on the driveway with the bonnet up, as dead as a dodo. It won't start even when jumped now... In fact, it doesn't even turn over. No response at all. Silence. Nada. Zip. We've checked the contacts etc, but are not particularly car savvy, and have no idea where to go next. Please can anyone help?

Ps. We can't afford a mechanic, and need the car urgently to pick the kids up from their school Geography field trip early tomorrow morning. So if you can offer any advice, we would really appreciate it if you could spare a couple of minutes to reply. Thanks.

Reply to
John Dee LJ

Have someone get into the vehicle, put your head under the hood and listen. Have them attempt to start it, and listen intently.. do you hear any clicking (The sound you're looking for is the small click of the solenoid relay switch that tells the starter to go, it will click once for every time you turn the key) If you don't hear this, check and double-check fuses, battery cables, etc. If you DO hear it, then pull the starter and have it tested.

Chuck Burns

Reply to
Zex0s

Also, make sure the battery is still charged. You never know, the car may have be draining the battery somehow. Make sure your headlights come on nice and bright, and if you have a multimeter that's even better... The battery should be reading ~12 volts, 10 or less and it probably won't even turn over.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Sounds like it could be a bad alternator, which caused the first battery to fail prematurely. So make sure the alternator is charging properly (take it to a mechanic with alternator testing equipment).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff