1993 Ford Ranger engine revs w/o gas pedal

Hi all,

I have a problem with my 1993 Ford Ranger. It stated about a week ago, the engine would idle at a very high RPM (3000 or so), but it would only do it sometimes. Also the engine would rev up to 3 or 4 thousand RPM sometimes when i pushed in the clutch to change gears. Sometimes it would fall when i put it in gear, sometimes it would fall if I pushed in the gas. However, today really concerned me. Today while driving my truck, i pushed in the clutch to change gears and the engine quickly jumped up to 4000 RPM, then it fell to 2000, then back to 4000, then down to 2000 then up to 4 again. Then I put it into gear thinking that would make the problem go away, and instead my truck began to accelerate without me pushing in the gas pedal. As you can imagine this is very concerning.

Do you guys have any ideas as to what the problem may be, and how much it might cost to have it fixed?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Reply to
brianpkennedyut

Throttle valve sticking ?

Reply to
Shawn

had the same problem with my 02 (did i ever mention i hate rangers?) it was the throttle position sensor. Not sure if the 93's are the same as mine is, but that is what fixed mine. Identical symptoms... i just dealt with it until i got the parts... luckily i didn't have to wait long i found one in a junk yard off an 05.

Mine was an 02, 3.0L 5spd.

I almost guarantee this is your problem

Reply to
Picasso