1993 Mercury Sable Station Wagon

:( I?m having the most trouble with my mercury sable station wagon. It only has 113,000 miles and its a 1993. I just had the transmission rebuilt in it about two months ago. A couple days ago the battery and "anti-lock" lights came on. I turned the car off, and later when I restarted it the lights weren?t on. Yesterday, I went to start my car and nothing happened. The battery was completely dead. No lights or sounds or cranking. I jumped the car and drove it around for about 20 minutes, but the "anti-lock" light was on the whole time. I turned it off, went to restart it, and it wouldn?t do anything again. No cranking or lights or sounds. Tried to jump it again, and it wouldn?t jump, it wouldn?t even crank. It didn?t try to jump. Today I tried once again to jump it with the same luck. The battery is about 2 1/2 years old with a 5 year warranty. Could it be the battery or alternator or starter? HELP!!!! This car is a money pit! Thanks :cry:

Reply to
phishfulthinkin

HELP!!!! This car is a money pit! Thanks :cry:

Well phish, Your car is 13 years old and with 113K on the clock. They all need fixin sometime. Yea, sadly, the trans was a shot in the backside. I've had 4 Tauri between 86 and 98 and, so far, dodged the transmission bullet. (Now watch as the trans in my 98 self destructs tomorrow ;) ). It sounds like your problem may be just poor, loose, corroded, or otherwise bad connections at the battery, starter relay or there abouts. Clean and tighten the battery connections, then follow the positive (red) cable to the relay. Remove all of the connections and clean them with fine sand paper. Put them back together and see what happens. You may need to charge the battery because the corrosion that kept power from getting to the car might have beem preventing power from geting back to the battery to charge it. If this doesnt help, then the charging system may not be working. The most likely culprit would be the voltage regulator. The alternators on those Tauri are pretty robust, although if all else checks out the alternator could have failed. Remember, just because your 5 year battery is only

2.5 years old, it could have failed. Have it charged and tested. The ABS light was likely triggered by low system voltage. One other thing to watch for on these cars is the ignition switch, they would occasionally fail and cause all sorts of strange electrical bugaboos.

Hope this helps, Tom Adkins

Reply to
Tom Adkins