1993 mustang 5.0

I have a 1993 5.0 mustang. I just bought this car and have no history on it. My problem is this. The car has some type on aftermarket cam and doesnt want to idle. I replaced the spark plugs because they were
fouled out ( covered with oil) After replacing the plugs the car would start but still ran rough and after a few attenpts to do some repair the plugs have fouled again. the engine has about 132,000 miles on it. I ttok it to a repair shop and they recommended I try and put a stock cam back in it. I was also told that the fuel pressure regulator may be causing some of my erractic idle / fouled plug issues. The mechanic that looked at it for me said that the timing was set correctly and the compresion was also ok.
Please advise.
Troy

I'd check the FPR first.
Are you sure the plugs are oily or are they black and sooty? FPR will do that.