1993 Taurus 3.0 w/ excessive pressure in fuel tank.

I noticed a slight gas smell while driving so I checked my gas cap. There was the hiss of pressure releasing upon opening it which lasts a few seconds. I've known that I needed to get a new fuel filter for a while and I've read that is most likely the reason for that occurring. Does anyone know if that's the case or if it could be something else?

Reply to
surefire

Not familiar with your specific vehicle, so please take with a grain of salt. Hopefully one of the pros on this NG will give more specific advice... Virtually all modern vehicles have a charcoal canister, which absorbs the fuel vapor from the tank. A relief valve, under computer control, periodically discharges the canister to the intake. It sounds to me like an obstruction somewhere along that path. Could be a plugged separator in (or on) the tank or damage to the vapor line. Any chance of a kink caused by recent work under the vehicle? For what it's worth, I had a similar problem for a long time, and finally found that the vapor line was incorrectly routed and squished between the tank and the floor. Less likely, but possible, is a failure of the relief valve or its control line.

Newer vehicles have a more complicated system, capable of intentionally creating a small amount of overpressure in the tank for a while, in order to verify integrity. A failure there is another option. But I don't think that your '93 has that.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

The Happy Travellin' dude is totally correct except for one issue, I think?. Any of the things he mentioned could be the problem and should be checked. Depending on lots of variables like temperature, fuel in the tank, engine variables, etc, modern fuel storage systems operate under a slight pressure. If you smell gas, there is a leak, either liquid or vapor. Pressure when removing the fuel cap is not abnormal. On a 93 Taurus, look closely at the fuel injector O rings for leaks. Also look around the filter, old ones tend to rust through and leak. Use your nose!!

Reply to
Tom Adkins