1993 Taurus Speed Sensor Change. How do you Do it?

1993 Taurus Speed Sensor Change. How do you Do it?

Anybody have any usefull tip for a guy who will be on his back trying to change this beast?

It sits directly on Top of the trans.

Reply to
Techie

Uhm, pull the cable out, loosen the big nut at the base, remove part, reverse procedure. Why would you be on your back?

Reply to
Pygoscelis Papua

When was the last time you change one? Obviously Never.!! There is no "nut"

Reply to
Techie

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Nut, bolt whatever. I've done plenty and I at least looked at the damned thing before I asked questions.

Reply to
Pygoscelis Papua

before you change it out as being bad: i have a 93 tauurs and the veh. speed sensor went out and the car was downshifiting, like when driving at 34 mph the car would bog down and then continue to drive correctly.. this lasted for about two to three weeks and then it stayed in first gear and you had to drive about 5 mph all the way home.... the code came up as the veh. speed sensor was bad... but it was the wires going to the VSS they were frayed inside the plastic/rubber covering and you could not see the bad wires... about one month earlier i changed the motor mounts and must have jacked up the motor/trans. and this strained the wires... after a VSS change the code still came back as the VSS was bad and the car did not shift out of first gear.... a little detecting with a meter and some sewing needles into the wires showed that there was a break in the wire so it was repaired by using some wire connectors....

Reply to
jim

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Well this is actually very encouraging to me. I am going to bring my car to a tranny shop this morning, he said he will change the thing for me for $50.00 So what the hell, it will keep me off my back and gettin all greasy. But aside from that., It goes to prove that this Gadget can actually be the cause of all my Ill's. If for some reason this problem continues,AND i still get the code from the computer that the speed sensor is bad, then i will change the wires from it. I myself have not changed my moter mounts recently or done anything else that would have strained on the wires. But it is Definatly something to consider. Hell Im damn curious to see what the hell is inside this Gizmo that could possibly go wrong, and be so affected by tempture, there are only

2 wires from this thing to the computer, I think im gonna make sure i get the old one back qand cut the little bugger open to see whats going on. My Guess is some type magnetic thing that spins!?! maybee. We shall see. I'll let youu know how it turnes out.

Reply to
Techie

Well lets see... I would be on my back because my arms aren't like an orangutang like yours are. which is the only way to do it from atop. Or I don't have a Lift like you Must have, to do it from underneath. Therefore I would be on my BACK. Not unless you lie on the ground on your stomach and work on your car!! PS take your attitude and shove it where your head must be. Up your ass.

Reply to
Techie

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Why not just say HOW to do it instead of saying.. "the ability to think and reason with just a touch of deductive reasoning will do"

maybe your taurus doesn't have a nest of metal cooling hoses in the way, as well as air conditioner hoses. No way...no how!!!!

Reply to
Techie

i did it on my 93 3.0 taurus and the stuff in the way was not a problem, just gotta know what to move and how to do it.. a shop manual for a 93 taurus/sable tauru

Reply to
jim

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Well I just got the car back from the shop i had them install the VSS or Speed sensor for me. It works like a charm now. Hard to believe suce a thing could cause such big trouble with the tranmission. I checked the service manual about the sensor, aparently its some type of switching device. the say the way to check it is to put a Ohm meter across the 2 pins and you should read 200-300 Ohm's. What the dont tell you is that reading could also be compleatly open depending on where the contacts are closed or open. but if you spin the little shaft, the you see the ohm meter jumping around, which is how this thing must generate a signal to send to the Microprocessor. My old one was verry erratic i wouls see readings anywhere from 300 ohms to

6K, or 8K Ohms. well i suppose after spinning around a few million times its due to crap out.

Just wierd that they decided they had to incorperate the computer into doing what an automatic transmission could do by itself many years ago. Well anyway i feel lucky i got away so cheap with this.

Just in case ayone cares, i did run across a fellow on Ebay Motors who sends out rebuilt transmissions. the Taurus Trans was about $1250.oo but thats with core charge, there is a $350 credit when you send back the core. He was auctioning one off for around $750.00 on ebay.

or

Techie

Thomas Moats

DONT YOU HAVE SOMEONE ELSE TO PICK ON STUPID LITTLE DETAILS ABOUT. ?

correctly..

Reply to
Techie

It was pure FYI, a thank you for giving you the information on what it is and how it works would be in order. So you are welcome. Have a nice day.

Reply to
Thomas Moats