1993 Taurus Speed Sensor Change. How do you Do it?

1993 Taurus Speed Sensor Change. How do you Do it?
Anybody have any usefull tip for a guy who will be on his back trying to change this beast?
It sits directly on Top of the trans.

Uhm, pull the cable out, loosen the big nut at the base, remove part, reverse procedure. Why would you be on your back?
When was the last time you change one? Obviously Never.!! There is no "nut"

There is a bolt, it holds the sensor to the transmission. I also agree with the other post, no reason to do this on your back.

Nut, bolt whatever. I've done plenty and I at least looked at the damned thing before I asked questions.
Nut bolt what ever? If you've done plenty, you know there is no reason to do this on your back, also if you've done plenty, why are you asking?

Well lets see... I would be on my back because my arms aren't like an orangutang like yours are. which is the only way to do it from atop. Or I don't have a Lift like you Must have, to do it from underneath. Therefore I would be on my BACK. Not unless you lie on the ground on your stomach and work on your car!! PS take your attitude and shove it where your head must be. Up your ass.

part,
You do not need a lift, or long arms. A good set of the proper tools and the ability to think and reason with just a touch of deductive reasoning will do just nicely. 3.8 or 3.0 both comes out the top with out a problem.

Why not just say HOW to do it instead of saying.. "the ability to think and reason with just a touch of deductive reasoning will do"
maybe your taurus doesn't have a nest of metal cooling hoses in the way, as well as air conditioner hoses. No way...no how!!!!

damned
Techie wrote:

i did it on my 93 3.0 taurus and the stuff in the way was not a problem, just gotta know what to move and how to do it.. a shop manual for a 93 taurus/sable tauru
Been working on them from the first year they were out. The A/C hoses are not in the way. The 3.8 has the exhaust manifold partially blocking, but again not so much that it is in the way. Cooling system hoses? They are up high, not in the way. So use Proper PPE or work on it cold. You need 1/4 inch drive sockets, extensions and ratchet, that is all. Why not just say why? Working on machinery, although is considered a lowly profession by those who have "higher levels of education" is a THINKING persons game. It take problem solving. Beyond that, you did not ask, you only attacked me for agreeing with a post telling you, you do not need to do the job from underneath.

Techie wrote:

before you change it out as being bad: i have a 93 tauurs and the veh. speed sensor went out and the car was downshifiting, like when driving at 34 mph the car would bog down and then continue to drive correctly.. this lasted for about two to three weeks and then it stayed in first gear and you had to drive about 5 mph all the way home.... the code came up as the veh. speed sensor was bad... but it was the wires going to the VSS they were frayed inside the plastic/rubber covering and you could not see the bad wires... about one month earlier i changed the motor mounts and must have jacked up the motor/trans. and this strained the wires... after a VSS change the code still came back as the VSS was bad and the car did not shift out of first gear.... a little detecting with a meter and some sewing needles into the wires showed that there was a break in the wire so it was repaired by using some wire connectors....
Well this is actually very encouraging to me. I am going to bring my car to a tranny shop this morning, he said he will change the thing for me for $50.00 So what the hell, it will keep me off my back and gettin all greasy. But aside from that., It goes to prove that this Gadget can actually be the cause of all my Ill's. If for some reason this problem continues,AND i still get the code from the computer that the speed sensor is bad, then i will change the wires from it. I myself have not changed my moter mounts recently or done anything else that would have strained on the wires. But it is Definatly something to consider. Hell Im damn curious to see what the hell is inside this Gizmo that could possibly go wrong, and be so affected by tempture, there are only 2 wires from this thing to the computer, I think im gonna make sure i get the old one back qand cut the little bugger open to see whats going on. My Guess is some type magnetic thing that spins!?! maybee. We shall see. I'll let youu know how it turnes out.

Well I just got the car back from the shop i had them install the VSS or Speed sensor for me. It works like a charm now. Hard to believe suce a thing could cause such big trouble with the tranmission. I checked the service manual about the sensor, aparently its some type of switching device. the say the way to check it is to put a Ohm meter across the 2 pins and you should read 200-300 Ohm's. What the dont tell you is that reading could also be compleatly open depending on where the contacts are closed or open. but if you spin the little shaft, the you see the ohm meter jumping around, which is how this thing must generate a signal to send to the Microprocessor. My old one was verry erratic i wouls see readings anywhere from 300 ohms to 6K, or 8K Ohms. well i suppose after spinning around a few million times its due to crap out.
Just wierd that they decided they had to incorperate the computer into doing what an automatic transmission could do by itself many years ago. Well anyway i feel lucky i got away so cheap with this.
Just in case ayone cares, i did run across a fellow on Ebay Motors who sends out rebuilt transmissions. the Taurus Trans was about $1250.oo but thats with core charge, there is a $350 credit when you send back the core. He was auctioning one off for around $750.00 on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item $35756637&category3727
or http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item $35859694&category3727

It's not a switch, it is a very small A/C generator, called reluctance pick up. The faster it turns the more voltage it makes. Get a DVOM and put it on AC and watch what happens when you spin it. The speed sensor does the job that the governor used too do.

DONT YOU HAVE SOMEONE ELSE TO PICK ON STUPID LITTLE DETAILS ABOUT. ?

veh.
correctly..
earlier
and
It was pure FYI, a thank you for giving you the information on what it is and how it works would be in order. So you are welcome. Have a nice day.