1993 Taurus wagon fuse problem

Hi all.
I posted this question a while ago, but probably in the wrong place, sorry...
I have this wagon with a non working fuel gauge in the dash.
A few days ago I found a busted fuse in the under-dash fuse box. Replaced it, and lo and behold: the fuel gauge works again! In addition to the "check engine" and airbag lights. (I had long forgotten about those lights since it's primarily my wife's vehicle, and I hadn't driven it in something like 2 years). Also, the thermometer seems to work normal now (it used to go up real fast to mid-level, seconds after starting the car; now that takes a couple of minutes).
Unfortunately the joy didn't last long. After a few trips to town I noticed the gauge sticking again, and the lights not working. Replaced the fuse a second time, but again it blew after a short time. Did this a couple of more times, but it's useless, it always blows. It's fuse number 18.
The manual's a little vague when it comes to checking fuses. It lists all the fuses, and which one to check if certain things stop working, but doesn't even hint about all things that stop working in the instrument panel when fuse 18 is gone...
Does anyone here know where I might start looking? I could check everything, but is there a "typical" problem with this Ford Taurus wagon, maybe? It would save me a whole lot of time. The fact that the fuse keeps blowing suggests that there's a short circuit somewhere. But where?
Any ideas, anyone?
Thanks again,
Erik

You can start with trying to remember what you where doing when the fuse to blew.....
Did that. I tried. Real hard! :-)
Problem is that this - according to my wife - happened months ago. And she never mentioned it, and now, after all this time, this guy needs to fix it...
Rick wrote:

1) light sensor amplifier (if you car has one) (top LH side IP) 2) low oil level relay (behind lower center of IP) 3) warning chime module (behind lower center of IP) 4) instrument cluster
I would inspect under the dash for any abraded wires. if you can unhook loads and try it, the would be my next try. Maybe replace the fuse with a temporary resetable circuit breaker for trouble shooting.
all the wiring colors are in the EVTM factory manual
-
Thanks Bob, that narrows it down quite a bit!