1993 Taurus wagon - gear shift

Today I started having trouble with my gear shift (automatic) Locking in Park.
When I press down the brake pedal many times it will release the gear shift.
Can someone tell me if this is a sensor or an electrical part?
What is causing this to happen and what can I do fix it.
Please help - it's driving me up the wall.
Thanks in advance.
Eric

It could be the brake switch on the pedal bracket or the soleniod in the column OR wiring in between. Check the brake switch first cause its easier to get to. A good shot of lube might be all that is needed if its the solenoid. It is possible its a cable driven release but I don't think so on the Taurus. It is also possible its a solenoid with a cable too in which case lubing the cable would help alot.

from brake pedal, look up pedal arm to find the switch... often the wire into switch breaks.
you'll know it's the switch if your brake lights are also intermittent
you pay..DEAL with it!