1993 Taurus Wagon - Heater problem

My heater has started acting up. Blows hot air then cold while selector is on full HOT setting? Checked rad levels - did add 1/2 liter of antifreeze to top it off. No change. I know they work on a vacuum system. What should I be checking?

Thanks, Eric

Reply to
ecm

ecm opined in news:NUANd.15070$tU6.9560@edtnps91:

Sequence matters a lot... take a while to get hot, then after it does.. get cold again? Hear gurgling in heater area?

could be air bubble in core

Make sure that the block is purged of air and that the hose from the thermostat area goes to BOTTOM heater core nipple and the hose from pump goes to top.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Do you have a 3.8? Loosing any antifreeze? Smell any sweet smells? white exhaust vapor?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

You're thinking the same thing I am. The first symptoms of the famous 3.8 head gasket leak. Bob

Reply to
Bob