1993 tempo strut change

I was wondering if someone out there would give me a detailed description on how to replace the rear struts in this car, there's to much bounce. thanks.

Reply to
jedi77

jedi snipped-for-privacy@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (jedi77) wrote in news:bPednbjpSaU6NF7fRVn snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Easy.. I just did my rears on my 92 Topez, which is the same thing.

First you need a few tools. I suggest you get a good quality floor jack, not a cheap, 1/4 sized one but a full sized one if ya can. Second, having a good impact wrench to remove the bolts will be good, and most important, a spring compressor.

You can get a good set of them for around 30 bucks. I have the kind that have little U bolts that bolt on to a little frame thats attached to a big screw. You attach this to the spring, tighten the u-bolts, and turn the screw, and this compresses the spring. I use 2 of them, one on each side of the spring.

Now, Remove all the stuff from the trunk so you can get to the rear strut mounts. That means ya gotta take the inside walls out.

Then You jack up the car in front of the rear wheel. Remove the wheel. Then, go into the trunk and remove the 2 nuts holding the strut. Then, go to the wheel, and remove the 2, 15mm bolts that hold the strut to the wheel. The 2 nuts that hold the bolts are on a little frame, and do not turn, so there is no need for a wrench on the other side. Once both bolts are out, you can CAREFULLY pull down on the entire wheel assemply and it will tilt, just enough to get the strut loose. WATCH OUT that you do not break the break lines during this process or you will have another job on your hands.

Move the strut up,to dislodge it from the wheel. Then move it as nessissary to get it out of the wheel well.

Then take it to a work bench. I use a vice. This is where I use the spring compressor. Once the spring is compressed, yoou can unscrew the top bolt holding the strut cap on. The strut may turn on you so you may have to uuse something on the shaft to stop it from turning.

Once the cap is off, remove the spring, the dust cover, and wala.. Just reverse the process to re-install it. Simple..

BUT BE CAREFULL with that spring! its dangerous..

Reply to
wizardofsnog