1994 Escort creaking (UK)

I've noticed recently when driving over speed bumps/humps, or general bump ground (at low-speeds) obviously, that there is a 'creaking' sound coming from the front.

The creak occurs as the front of the car is over the 'bump'.

Is this just suspension in need of some lube or something else?

Cheers.

Reply to
Kontaminator

I think it's what you would call automotive arthritis. You got some bones up front there that need replacing I bet. In dog years your car is 84. Most likely the cause is worn front struts.

Reply to
Al Bundy

My creak turned out to be a broken strut bracket caused by rust/road salt.

Reply to
Mark Cerkovnik

Believe it or not, after a good wash, all is well.

The previous owner appeared to be a car wash only person, never washing under the wheelarches, prolly dry, mud god knows was causing it. After a good wash and hosing under the wheel arches all sorted.

All nice and quiet now. :o)

Reply to
Kontaminator

I don't think you should necessarily consider that a permanent fix. It may stay quiet if the water washed away some contaminants in a moving part but water can also act as a temporary lubricant, suppressing the cause of the noise until it completely dries out again.

Reply to
Fordfan