1994 escort stiff shifter

Does any one have an idea y my shifter is hard to move... it does go into gear fine though.

Auto or manual?
Ol' Duffer wrote:

manual....

At the bottom end of the shift lever where it joins the link rod, the pivot crossbolt is not well sealed against dirt and splashes, and commonly gets water, salt, etc. inside and rusts. If the lever moves easily side to side but stiff forward and back, this may be the problem. To fix, prop up at least one side of the car and crawl under with a couple of 10mm wrenches (IIRC), and remove the bolt. If it's stubborn, may also need hammer, punch, etc. Clean the bolt and holes, replace the nylon bushings if they are damaged, pack the hole with grease and reassemble.
Ol' Duffer wrote:

Thanks....
Is there a possabilty that the shifter rod is bent...

I suppose it's possible if it was abused badly somehow, like running over something.
Ol' Duffer wrote:

thanks...