1994 F350 that won't warm up

I bought a 1994 ford F-350 that was a Navy truck. The problem is that I can only get between 10 and 13 MPG (no load).

The truck is in good condition, but it doesn't seem to want to "warm up". I think the Navy people took the thermostat out. So, that would make it run rich and kill my MPG, right? I'm in the process of tuning the truck up, so I will see if the MPG goes up, but the temp gauge never gets above 1/3.

I also have a Navy Dodge Van that seems to never "warm" up also, both the Van and the Truck do not pump out really "hot" heat, all of this points to no thermostat. As soon as it warms up I'll get out there to check, a follow up question is what temp thermostat should I use in the F350 ?

Thanks

Reply to
newworldactor

If its a gasoline engine, thats sounds about right..

I would use a minimum 185*F thermostat... If you can, get a 195*F therm...

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Thanks for the reply.

I've done even more research and I found that the temp gauge sitting around 1/3 could be normal. What does make me think there is no thermostat is the fact that it takes a long time for there to be heat and the heat isn't that hot. Could this be normal? How hard is it to change the thermostat?

And yes it is a gas engine.

Reply to
newworldactor

well your first clue should have been that you bought it from the NAVY, DUH........ anything after that is just on YOU, DUH........ever thought of buying a book on the truck, DUH.......

Reply to
Delbert

And what exactly is wrong with Navy vehicles? You got on the wrong boat here mister. I am a Navy VET... They dont do anything to their engines that you wouldnt do to yours. They have factory trained techs working on these trucks, just like the dealers..

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

With that vintage, the guage will go somewhere around the "O" with a 197 deg stat. If you replace the stat, it will go a bit higher on the first few warmup cycles, but will settle in where it was in most case I've seen. If it has the HD cooling which is spec'd on almost every gov't vehicle, it has a higher capacity cooling system requiring a bit longer to get fully warmed up. Unlike the older cooling systems, these have a bypass directly to the radiator instead of internal recirculation like many older systems. This tends to slow warmup along with a couple of benefits like de-aereating the coolant and warming the throttle body to prevent icing. If a slow heater is the problem, it may need a good flushing to clean a partially blocked heater core. They can be a bit sentitive to scum and scaling.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut