1994 Ford E150 Econline Conversion Van 5.8L V 8 NA OHV Gas EFI Overdrive Problem

Here are the specs: Year: 1994 Make: Ford Truck Model: E150 Econoline Style/Body: 2 Passenger 2 Dr Van Engine: 5.8L V 8 NA OHV Gas EFI

My problem is this: If I have overdrive ON, then it shifts very roughly and sometimes when I stop, it takes a few seconds before it downshifts/shifts out of overdrive, but when I turn overdrive OFF, the problem goes away.

..When it's shifting roughly, it usually happens around 45-55 mph, and it seems to try to downshift or turn overdrive on, then off, then on..etc. Also, sometimes starting from a dead stop it stalls even when engine is warm.

prob2: now that this is happening, it's very difficult to get it out of Park and into Drive. I have to step VERY Hard on the brake peddle for it to disengage and move the shifter arm into Drive.

I thought that these 2 might be related as the overdrive button is on the shifter arm.

Any help on this would be great. I just bought this van and I love it..but I don't know much about it at all.

Reply to
DaveSwain

There should be a light on the dash that indicates when the OD is one and off. If pressing on the OD button causes the light to go on and off, then, it is unlikely to be a problem with the shifter. In fact, I doubt very much that this is a problem.

There is a switch that must be engaged that lets you go from park to drive. The switch is engaged when you press on the brake. This switch may be malfunctioning. However, it shouldn't make any different how hard you step on the brake. The switch should be engaged when you step on the brakes lightly. It should be pretty easy to check that the switch is function correctly.

It is more likely that you have a problem with a sensor or valve within the transmission. You may be able to read a trouble code off the computer that controls the transmission. If you have such a computer, it is different from the one that controls the engine and turns on the check engine light. Any problem here should affect only switching gears while driving. It shouldn't affect going from park to drive.

I think you have two different problems. I would be curious to hear if I am wrong.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Ok, I took it in and had it hooked up to the computer. Transmission is fine, but it poped a BOO error, Brake ON/OFF error. He said that it could be air in brake line, up to master cylinder issue. Still not sure but this is 2 different issues.

I took it to another mechanic and he said to give it a full tune-up, replacing spark pulg wires and pulgs, etc. However he said that it's going to be an all day job costing 300-400 dollars due to having to take off the tires, put on a lift, remove center console (from my conversion) to get into the inside of the van part of the motor.

They both agreed that it's missing and that a full tune up will probably fix the first problem.

HOWEVER, one of the mechanics suggest that I fill the gas tank up to the top, then add a quart of transmission fluid to the gas tank..and that the detergent in the transmission fluid would remove all the excess carbon build up. Anyone have any advice on this???

thanks.

Reply to
DaveSwain

Yeah, don't do it. The oil in the transmission fluid won't burn well until it gets to the catalytic convertor. Not a good idea.

Today's gasolines already have additives to remove carbon build-up.

Jeff

Reply to
Geoff

The BOO switch is actually on the brake pedal.. LOL I would replace that first. That most likely is the problem for it not shifting out of park.

If its missing yes it needs a tune up.. Get'er done..

Wal-Mart carries and additive for your fuel called Chevron Fuel System Cleaner. It costs about $6/bottle, its good stuff mainard. Add a bottle for

3 tanks in a row, and it will clean everything for ya. Then just add a bottle very 5-6 tanks to keep system up. I would also change the fuel filter before adding this stuff. It will break down and deposits in the filter and send them through the rest of the system, therefore decreasing efficiency of the cleaner..

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Ok, got it a full tune up with cleaning fuel injectors, replacing worn/ disconnected hoses, also fuel regulator, but it's still happening... even more so. It feels like it's got more power, but the shuddering is still happening. Mineke said that it might(probably) is the fuel pump (another 500.00). I'm taking it to another mechanic(4th one) tomorrow to evaluate my problems. I'll ask him to replace the BOO switch as it has not been taken care of yet. (also the Brake job Mineke did is making a lot of noise). wish me luck!

Reply to
DaveSwain

K, so we got the low power issue out of the way.. You dont need a fuel pump, the van starts and runs fine.. The Chevron Fuel System Cleaner will keep her runnin like a top.. Meineke is a BRAKE and MUFFLER shop, I wouldnt listen to them about anything else.. LOL

Now for that SHUDDER... I am betting its the torque converter clutch solenoid sticking in the transmission. Sounds like its failing to fully engage or disengage. I would take it to a tranny shop NOT a regular mechanic and have them look at it for ya..

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Ditto, ditto, ditto.... on all counts.

Make sure they check the wiring at the switch connector. The wires tend to break inside the insulation at the BOO switch connector terminal crimps. (where the wires go in to the connector).

Absolutely. Make that "a known reputable tranny shop", there seem to be a lot of hacks in that particular specialty. Ask around for recommendations, even call the BBB. A good shop will also be familiar with a known converter clutch engagement shudder issue with this trans (assuming it's an AODE). It can often be cured with a complete trans service (fluid and filter, including draining the converter) and a friction modifier additive. Only hands on testing by someone who knows the problem will tell if this is the case or not. It was pretty common on vans and full size cars of that vintage. If let go too long though torque converter replacement may be necessary, as the converter clutch lining could be damaged, thus the need for a "reputable" shop who will be honest with you. One is a ~$100 repair, the other ~$1100.

Oh,just in case you missed it: " You dont need a fuel pump, > the van starts and runs fine.. The Chevron Fuel System Cleaner will keep her > runnin like a top.. Meineke is a BRAKE and MUFFLER shop, I wouldnt listen to > them about anything else.." That advise bore repeating.

And just in case Ford Tech wasn't clear, I'll add: > " You dont need a fuel pump, > the van starts and runs fine.. The Chevron Fuel System Cleaner will keep her > runnin like a top.. Meineke is a BRAKE and MUFFLER shop, I wouldnt listen to > them about anything else.. ;)

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Hello, I just got of the phone with the mechanic. First of all, let me say that I already took it to a large transmission shop here locally. They hooked it up to the computer and that's how they got the BOO error. Second, the transmission guy drove it around with me and said that it has nothing to do with the transmission.

ok, so now the mechanic that has it now said that the torque converter clutch solenoid sticking in the transmission would pop an error message, and that he didn't think it was that. He was also the one that said that we shouldn't be too hasty to replace the fuel pump, until he's had a chance to really look at it. So, he's getting back to me today when he gets a chance to look at it.

I want to thank all of you that have given me feedback, I hope that someday my van is running well as I love the thing!

-David

PS, I will get some of that Chevron Fuel System Cleaner as soon as I get her back.

Reply to
DaveSwain

Ok, the New Mechanic is saying that it's the computer that controls the fuel injection system. He said he's looking around for one for my van. I was wondering if anyone knows how much these cost and what the laymans name is for it..besides just a "computer"??

thanks again, David

Reply to
DaveSwain