1994 Ford Escort LX Compression Problems

If the plug is coated with oil (not gas) then you may have a problem with the rinngs on the piston, or the piston itself, Tale a panel light and look into the cylinder to see the top of the piston. Turn the engine so that the piston is at the bottom, and you will also be able to see the cylinder walls. If they are scratched up really bad, then the rings have broken or turned sideways, if there is a hole or a crack in the piston, then look for a used engine. The lifters may be or may not be stuck open, but the element that is the key, is the oil on the plug. I am an advanced level, master technician with 23 years fixing cars. If you donot have a light that will fit into the spark plug hole, I know where to get one.

Reply to
Tech&Tool

If the plug is coated with oil (not gas) then you may have a problem with the rinngs on the piston, or the piston itself, Tale a panel light and look into the cylinder to see the top of the piston. Turn the engine so that the piston is at the bottom, and you will also be able to see the cylinder walls. If they are scratched up really bad, then the rings have broken or turned sideways, if there is a hole or a crack in the piston, then look for a used engine. The lifters may be or may not be stuck open, but the element that is the key, is the oil on the plug. I am an advanced level, master technician with 23 years fixing cars. If you donot have a light that will fit into the spark plug hole, I know where to get one. ________________________________________________

Please include an edited copy of the original poster's inquiry above your response so other newsgroup readers can understand the problem and benefit from your knowledge. This is basic newsgroup courtesy.

Thank you.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

The people at snipped-for-privacy@echoforum.com feel that they are the "Leading Edge" of communications and feel it's time for UseGroups to catch up. Their users have no idea their messages are being distributed outside of EchoForum.com. Maybe we should flood them with complaints ?

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

rinngs on the piston, or the piston itself, Tale a panel light and look into the cylinder to see the top of the piston. Turn the engine so that the piston is at the bottom, and you will also be able to see the cylinder walls. If they are scratched up really bad, then the rings have broken or turned sideways, if there is a hole or a crack in the piston, then look for a used engine. The lifters may be or may not be stuck open, but the element that is the key, is the oil on the plug. I am an advanced level, master technician with 23 years fixing cars. If you donot have a light that will fit into the spark plug hole, I know where to get one.

Just had one drop a valve seat -1997 Escort if I remember correctly - and it progressed from a minor miss on #3, reported by OBD2 - to a major miss/knock in a matter of days. Totally trashed the entire engine. It had gone to a "Canadian Tire" store for a tuneup when the CEL came on, and within less than 50 miles it was scrap.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce