1994 Ford explorer

After Driving for 4 hours, I got a check engine light... The car drove fine for a while and then began missing. I continued driving to the next town
but in about 20 minutes everything was fine. The codes said lean fuel mixture, but the repair shops couldn't find anything wrong. The check engine light is now back on with lean fuel mixture codes, but the car drives fine. The repair shops checked fuel flow, but it was fine.
If you're getting a lean condition you probably have an issue with unmetered air, or in other words a vacuum leak.
If it's intermittent I would suspect the EGR lines might be the issue. Check the line from the solenoid to the valve. When the EGR solenoid opens up to send vacuum signal to the EGR valve unmetered air could be getting in that way.
Just a theory. If EGR checks out OK take a look at the evap system.

There was also a problem with 4.0 (OHC?) Explorers with the upper intake manifold seals leaking and allowing unmetered air into the engine causing a CEL. IIRC it was on 4.0L OHC motor. I know this happened on 97- 99 Explorers as I repaired a lot of them, it may apply to yours, 94 might be a bit early though. I don't remember the coverage on the TSB. Have your local dealer run an OASIS report on your vehicle and see if it applies.
On 22 Apr 2005 13:11:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

hey FOCKTARD
run an oasis on an exploder lmfao u are a TARD
hurc ast
I would check the Mass Air Flow Sensor. My '94 did the same thing, I replaced the MAF and no more light or missing.