1994 Ford F150 conversion van

Hello Group:

I have a 1994 ford centauris conversion van and am having problems with the transmission; I think.

I can be driving the interstate at 75 mph and once in a while it will seem to jump out of gear and immediately go back in gear. Sometimes real hard and other times just barely noticable. It will go sometimes for a couple of weeks with no problems and other times it will go just a few miles and slip in and out for a while no matter what speed I am going and in or out of overdrive; cruise control on or off; does not make a difference.

I have had the ford dealer nearby check it out and they say there is no problem with the transmission. I have changed fluid and filter and still the same sporadic problem.

Does anyone in the group have any suggestions? Could it be something electrical? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reply to
Virgil W. Depew

"Virgil W. Depew" wrote: ( 1994 Ford F150 conversion van )

Sometimes when driving at 75 mph my transmission seems to jump out of gear and immediately go back into gear, sometimes hard and other times barely noticeable.

It does not make a difference what speed I am going, whether in or out of overdrive, and whether cruise control is on or off. I have changed fluid and filter with no improvement.

My Ford dealer said the transmission is okay. Any suggestions?

Many transmissions have an extra clutch in the torque converter which locks the engine to the transmission at cruising speed and which unlocks to let the torque converter slip during acceleration or low-speed operation. The clutch is engaged electrically, when the engine control computer senses the proper conditions.

When the converter unlocks unexpectedly it feels like it downshifted but it hasn't. The engine just revs up until the converter slips enough to match the throttle pressure. And when the converter locks unexpectedly it feels like it went into a higher gear, but it hasn't. It just slows the engine until converter slippage is gone.

The problem could be in the computer, a lockup relay, the converter clutch, or just a bad electrical connection. Check all connections before trying any servicing.

There may be other problems here. If, as you say, it actually jumps out of gear, something else is wrong. And it is odd that it happens at all speeds. The converter clutch is never supposed to engage at low speeds.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

He should also check the brake switch... applying the brakes signals the TCC to unlock...

A faulty or misadjusted switch could be the cause of the concern...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Virgil W. Depew