1994 Ford Taurus Overheating Question

Last night my 1994 Ford Taurus 3.0L engine overheated. I noticed that it was leaking oil and when I took the oil cap off, steam or smoke was coming
out of the engine. It looks to me that there is oil going down the sides of the engine. The mechanic that I took the car to said that the problem is a water pump. I dont know much about engines but why would the car leak oil if the water pump was bad? Its not that I dont trust the guy's judgement but to me, they dont seem to be related. He told me that the engine should be ok because the 3.0 is a durable engine so that part is good news.
Thanks for any input.
JD

mix.
JD wrote:

It is not unusual for the water pump to leak. It would be leaking on the side of the engine by the passenger side wheel well if it was. Or, you could have a radiator seem leak that is squirting water everywhere when the system pressurizes. Is the fan coming on when the motor heats up?
Is there water in the oil? If there is, the head gasket is probably bad. Its not common in a 3.0, but i have seen it. Are you sure its oil that's leaking? Are you sure the oil filter behind the radiator is tight?
Bob
-
BOB URZ wrote:

I had it fixed today, found that the leak was antifreeze rather than oil. The car seems to be fine now. I never thought it would be a water pump. I know all about cars when it comes to selling them (I'm not a car salesman but I do know my stuff), but when it comes to the mechanical side of cars I know nothing.
JD wrote:

Ok, it was a water leak. So where was it leaking? Believe me, its common for the water pumps to wear eccentric, make a scraping noise and slowly leak. I have changed them on 3 out of four 3.0's i have owned. There good for 100K or so if its a good pump.
Its also common to have the radiator leak from the seams. I had one radiator crack the plastic side tank. It would only leak when the motor was hot under pressure.
Bob
-
Bob Urz wrote:

It was leaking where you said it was, on the side of the engine by the passenger side wheel well. The car had been making a strange noise for about a week, my guess is that it was the water pump. The car has close to 108K miles so this sounds like a normal thing.
Thanks for all of your input.
JD