1994 Ford Taurus Overheating Question

Last night my 1994 Ford Taurus 3.0L engine overheated. I noticed that it was leaking oil and when I took the oil cap off, steam or smoke was coming out of the engine. It looks to me that there is oil going down the sides of the engine. The mechanic that I took the car to said that the problem is a water pump. I dont know much about engines but why would the car leak oil if the water pump was bad? Its not that I dont trust the guy's judgement but to me, they dont seem to be related. He told me that the engine should be ok because the 3.0 is a durable engine so that part is good news.

Thanks for any input.

JD

Reply to
JD

I think this could be a blown head gasket, in which case, water and oil will mix.

Reply to
punk-tilous

It is not unusual for the water pump to leak. It would be leaking on the side of the engine by the passenger side wheel well if it was. Or, you could have a radiator seem leak that is squirting water everywhere when the system pressurizes. Is the fan coming on when the motor heats up?

Is there water in the oil? If there is, the head gasket is probably bad. Its not common in a 3.0, but i have seen it. Are you sure its oil that's leaking? Are you sure the oil filter behind the radiator is tight?

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

Reply to