1994 lincoln continental message center

The lamps for the message center in my contintental don't light. The messsage center itself is funtioning correctly otherwise. I can read it if I shine a bright light on it.
What kind of bulbs does it take? The owners and service manual say take it to a dealer for that. Just for burned out lamps - right.....
Aren't all the lights in the dash LED lights?. Seems like any other lamps in the dash would wash out the LEDs.
BTW, ever have any problem with the DCL (data communication link) warning light flashing with that annoying chime?. Seems to be a wiring connection problem that really difficult to track down. The manual says it's not a mechanical problem. I'm about ready to disconnect the chime on mine if I can ever find it.