1994 Taurus turn signal & falsher not working

Threaded View

Hello...

My 1994 Ford Taurus GL, 3.0L, has turn signal (and emergency flasher)
not working.

The blackup lights, and everything else associated with the turn
signal and emerg. flasher fuses, work -- so it's not the fuses.

How do I repair/replace whatever part is down?

Thanks.
SS

Re: 1994 Taurus turn signal & falsher not working

What happens when you put the flashers or turn signal on?
No light at all or just no flash? Did you replace the
flasher? Could be a bad multifunction switch in the
steering column. Any other electrical problems or
recent work done on the car?

Bob

-

Re: 1994 Taurus turn signal & falsher not working

When I put either the turn signal or the emerg. flasher on, I get
nothing.  No light at all.

Have experienced no other electrical problems recently -- but a few
days ago, I noticed that the turn signla was blinking much faster than
usual.

Re: 1994 Taurus turn signal & falsher not working

What to the brake lights and running lights do?

Bob

-

Re: 1994 Taurus turn signal & falsher not working

Is the button for the emerg flashers on the top of the column on a 94? If so
spray some WD40 down inside/around the flasher button and work it on and off
about 50 times to clean it.

Re: 1994 Taurus turn signal & falsher not working

Two responses to suggestions/questions:

(1) The running lights and brake ligths work as well as the back-up
lights..

(2) I put WD40 into the flasher button area -- which is on the column
-- now the flasher works -- but, so far the turn signals still don't.

Should I try some more WD40?

SSS

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:01:39 GMT, "Shoe Salesman"

Re: 1994 Taurus turn signal & falsher not working

Yes, work the crap out of the switch too.

Re: 1994 Taurus turn signal & falsher not working

Should I also work the turn signal too?

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:39:02 GMT, "Shoe Salesman"

Re: 1994 Taurus turn signal & falsher not working

It wouldn't hurt.

Re: 1994 Taurus turn signal & falsher not working

While WD40 is can be a good light lube in many situations,
it is NOT recommend as a contact cleaner / preservative.
Being in the electronics business, i cannot count how many
units i have seen near destruction from WD40 flooding.
The more is better theory does not hold here.

If the switch was mechanically hanging up, maybe it will help.
Otherwise those switches are somewhat sealed. If its truly the
switch contacts, replacement of the control stalk is the solution.
I had to replace two stalks on the 4 taurus i have owned.
Usually for Wiper  or turn signal problems though.

If there is a U pull yard close, that's the most economic way
of fixing it. The yards are full of taurus.

Bob

-

Re: 1994 Taurus turn signal & falsher not working

Sorry Bob but I only speak from experiance on this one. I have fixed aprox
50 or more CVs and Tauruses this way. Those multifunction switches arent
cheap and the wd40 trick will work about 90% of the time. I think the
problem is a combination of dirt and old dryed up grease that causes the
problem.

Re: 1994 Taurus turn signal & falsher not working

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Shoe Salesman!
It worked!

SS

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:04:55 GMT, "Shoe Salesman"

Re: 1994 Taurus turn signal & falsher not working

Cool!