1994 Taurus turn signal & falsher not working

Hello...

My 1994 Ford Taurus GL, 3.0L, has turn signal (and emergency flasher) not working.

The blackup lights, and everything else associated with the turn signal and emerg. flasher fuses, work -- so it's not the fuses.

How do I repair/replace whatever part is down?

Thanks. SS

Reply to
SS

What happens when you put the flashers or turn signal on? No light at all or just no flash? Did you replace the flasher? Could be a bad multifunction switch in the steering column. Any other electrical problems or recent work done on the car?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

When I put either the turn signal or the emerg. flasher on, I get nothing. No light at all.

Have experienced no other electrical problems recently -- but a few days ago, I noticed that the turn signla was bl>

Reply to
SS

What to the brake lights and running lights do?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Is the button for the emerg flashers on the top of the column on a 94? If so spray some WD40 down inside/around the flasher button and work it on and off about 50 times to clean it.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Two responses to suggestions/questions:

(1) The running lights and brake ligths work as well as the back-up lights..

(2) I put WD40 into the flasher button area -- which is on the column

-- now the flasher works -- but, so far the turn signals still don't.

Should I try some more WD40?

SSS

Reply to
SS

Yes, work the crap out of the switch too.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

It wouldn't hurt.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

While WD40 is can be a good light lube in many situations, it is NOT recommend as a contact cleaner / preservative. Being in the electronics business, i cannot count how many units i have seen near destruction from WD40 flooding. The more is better theory does not hold here.

If the switch was mechanically hanging up, maybe it will help. Otherwise those switches are somewhat sealed. If its truly the switch contacts, replacement of the control stalk is the solution. I had to replace two stalks on the 4 taurus i have owned. Usually for Wiper or turn signal problems though.

If there is a U pull yard close, that's the most economic way of fixing it. The yards are full of taurus.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Sorry Bob but I only speak from experiance on this one. I have fixed aprox

50 or more CVs and Tauruses this way. Those multifunction switches arent cheap and the wd40 trick will work about 90% of the time. I think the problem is a combination of dirt and old dryed up grease that causes the problem.
Reply to
Shoe Salesman

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Shoe Salesman! It worked!

SS

Reply to
SS

Cool!