1994 Thunderbird VERY ODD NOISE! Help :(

hey guys,

yes i'm a noob :p , please don't hate me. anyways i have a 1994 thunderbird that my mother gave me a few weeks back. what i have noticed is, when it rains, there is a noise coming from under the hood that is a "whiney, almost high pitched noise" that just keeps going until i hit the gas and then it hits a high note and disapears, and then comes back about 5 seconds later. now i was changing my oil on monday, and didn't leak oil anywhere when i was draining it and putting in the new oil. after the oil change i took the car off the ramps and let the car run for a few minutes. this noise returned. we popped the hood and it seemed to be coming from the belt. however the belt is not worn down, and doesn't need to be replaced. but it looks like the noise is coming DIRECTLY in the belt area. does anybody have any clue what would cause this? yesterday i was driving for about 6 miles and it was fine, and then all of a sudden this noise started again! its really embarassing and frustrating not to put my finger on this. i am not exactly a mechanic by any means. so if anyone has any idea on what this is, and how it can be fixed please post a reply message.

Thanks! -Tom

ALSO!!! There is another noise coming from the back. When I step on the gas there will be a popping noise in the rear, on the passengers side. Any clue on what this may be? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Reply to
LittleSmoothJr

"LittleSmoothJr" wrote

Classic sound of a slipping belt.

Belt doesn't need to be "worn down" to be slipping. If the belt hasn't been replaced recently (in the last couple of years), do it. They're cheap.

It could also be the idler pulley bearing going bad, or one of the other parts turned by the belt (alternator, steering pump, air pump, etc).

Best guess: One of the u-joints in the right-side axle needs attention. Maybe guesses: Spring is shifting in its "pocket" as the suspension compresses, body flex causing some part (like the door) to make noise, something rolling around in the trunk.

Reply to
MasterBlaster