1995 Contour GL (4-banger) heater troubles & overheating.

No heat (sometimes a *little* warm). Prestone smell in the car when heater is on. Car has a tendancy to overheat (slow & intermittent rad fan).

It gobbles up about 1 gallon of coolant per week (seems to be vaporising through the heater core, since I'm not seeing any leaks anywhere)

My guess is a leaking heater core & a defective thermostat.

*nothing* seems to have been serviced over the car's life, it has nearly 175,000KM on it.

had the O2 sensor, timing belt, water pump, Air bypass valve and timing belt idler changed over the last month.

I'm gonna trash it after the winter, but here in Canada I need some kind of heat in the car.

Thermostat is pretty cheap, but the only place I can get the heater core seems to be at Ford's (expensive).

Any ideas?

Reply to
El Bandito

Car overheated tonight on the highway (at -20C). It's at Ford's for now.

Steam was coming out of the Radiator too, so guess I'll be giving the poor thing it's final rites and let it go.

Reply to
El Bandito