1995 Contour GL driver's side airbag.

The whole thing seems loose.
When I turn the steering wheel, the whole cover seems to want to pop out.
I understand that when those things go off, it will split the cover open,
but I can pull it about two inches (the whole cover)
What I want to know (and my Haynes manual isn't telling me), is...
I can feel something attached to the steering wheel cover (by weight, seems to be the airbag assembly itself).
I'm afraid to get the steering wheel cover in my face instead of having it split open if the airbag has to deploy. (I *will* get hurt badly if that happens, might even be killed)
Is the airbag attached to the cover itself, or it's attached to the steering column?
I'm about to just pull the fuse so I won't get it on my face...
I really don't want to find out in the split second it will take to inflate and pop the steering wheel cover in my face :(

(\_ _/)