1995 Contour Zetec 2.0 4-banger sounding like a diesel when cold

I just had the engine changed about 3 weeks ago. It sounds like a diesel engine when cold (valves *clicking*),
when warm, it's a lot better, but I can still hear some noise at idle.
-If I use synthetic oil, would it be better?
-Can the valves be adjusted on that engine?
--

(\_ _/)

Are you saying it started then?
How many miles on it... does it use oil?
Find the exhaust manifold and tap with the balde of a screwdriver, then with a regular hammer... which does it most sound like?
Anyway.. given probable mileage and some wear... wouldnt hurt to use Mobil 1, 10w30
you pay..DEAL with it!

Well, the first week it wasn't so cold, on the original engine was doing the same (to a lesser extent).
When cold (below -5), it really goes at it until warmed up. afterwards it's not worse than any other 10-year old car on the streets.

124,000 KM, around 78k if my conversion is right. Doesn't seem to use oil, level has been the same for a month (1500KM)
No blue smoke or strange smell from the exhaust.
I don't mind if it goes clickety-click when cold (but it makes my car sound like an old beater).
I will have it looked over by the guys who changed it, but I hate leaving the car 50 miles from home for a couple of days (taking the bus to work is 2 hours instead of 30 minutes)

You mean if it sounds like the screwdriver or the hammer?

That's synthetic, right?
Thanks...

El Bandito wrote:

Since the engine was changed only 3 weeks ago, I'd check for loose bolts.
The 'clicking' could be anything on a Zetec.
While tapping in the area of the exhaust manifold, check the bolts holding the heat shield on. If one of the four bolts are missing, it will make a clicking sound. ...assuming there is a heat shield there to begin with ;-)
Yes, the valve clearances are adjustable.
sjm
Need to know if it is a new engine, reman or bone yard engine.

Scrap yard.
Compression seems to be about equal on all cylinders, no jitter whatsoever. As I mentionned, it about stops doing it when warmed up.
--

(\_ _/)
A compression test will only tell you if an engine is makeing cylinder pressure. It will not tell you the condition of the bearings or other rotating parts. Hope you got some kind of warranty with the junk yard engine, you need to try to enforce it.

El Bandito wrote:

...and a warranty on the first one?
Warranty? on the original engine?
Forget it. the car is 10 years old, has 175,000KMs on it, and it was bought from someone I know.
The new engine has 124,000 on it.
--

(\_ _/)
El Bandito wrote:

...by chance is the check engine light on....or has the check engine light come on, then go off, ...and then come on and go off?
Nope...
I'll have it checked out by someone else this weekend.
--

(\_ _/)
It's not a new engine, not even a remanufactured. Don't call it one. BTW how much did it cost with installation?

Fred Miller wrote:

heck...a Zetec with 30K - 40K miles on ebay goes for about $500.