1995 F-350, Powerstroke Diesel, Fuel Tank Switch?

I have experienced a problem when switching fuel tanks. When switching from Front to Rear the fuel gauge indicator goes beyond normal operating range on
the gauge and the fuel filter light comes on and truck begins to run rough until I switch back to Front tank and then truck leaks fuel. Has anyone experienced a similar situation and know what a possible fix maybe?