1995 Ford Contour GL 2.0

When cold (ie, around 0 degrees, colder it's even worse), the valves sound like a bad diesel engine. I understand this is an DOHC engine, and the oil
might need to get up there, but it's ridiculous. When warm, whenever I'm at a stop light (auto tranny), the engine sputters, and gets worse when I use the lighter or the defrost (sounds like either the alternator is not giving out enought voltage/current, or the ignition wires/plugs are in need of a replacement.
Any ideas? I've already spent *WAY* too much on that car.
--

(\_ _/)
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:05:51 -0500, "El Bandito"

Idea's? Low /no oil pressure when cold (try changing with 0W50 synthetic, putting in new bearings, lifters and oil pump/filter).
As for low voltage and stumbling.. you might want to get your idle speed checked.
With regards to spending money on a car... Are you sure it got spent on your car, and not on the service managers girlfriends?
In the late 1980's we fixed at least 10 "dead" 305's by putting in either new fuel pumps or replacing broken valve springs. Most garages would just tell the customer they needed a new engine instead of properly diagnosing the problem.
If you're going to keep the car I would get a good garage to do a proper tune up and oil change.
If not, don't worry and swap it for something better.
I have a similar model a 1996(contour 2.0)I am having the same problems,I have just replace the ignition coil,& it will not start unless you gave it gas,also will not idle.What should i do about this?
...and the clicking sound, gone?
This might sound crazy, but the problem now seems to point to a poor chassis / electrical ground. The Escort ZX2 with Zetec is somewhat notorious for this problem.
sjm1