1995 Ford Escort

I have a 1995 Ford Escort. Yesterday the seatbelt light started flashing. It seems to flash 5 times pause and then flash 1. It does this over and over. I have check the seat belts and don't see any problems. Any idea what is causing this?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Ron2_1

Does this car have motorized seat belt retractors?

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

The car is designed by Mazda. The transmission is made my Mazda in Japan

1.8L engine is also made in Japan by Mazda. 1.9L engine is made un USA by Ford, but re-designed by Mazda. Car was assembled in Michigan in 1995. I am not positive if some were also assembled in Mexico in 1995.
Reply to
Childfree Scott

I have a 1995 Ford Escort and just recently the seat belt light started flashing. It will flash 5 times, pause then 1 time wait about 10 seconds and repeat. I can't find out what is causing this. Does anyone know what this means?

thanks in advance

Reply to
Ron2_1

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Nope. It's rather impossible to build and engine, then "redesign it". Mazda made the car, in Michigan, and Ford's got the engine, the ATX, Ignition, and ECA in it.

Reply to
William Hopkins

Reply to
steve piskor

I'll look again. The light flashes (no Chime) whether you have your belt on or off. It still flashes even if you get out of the car.

Reply to
Ron2_1

The seat belt retracts but I don't think it is motorized

Reply to
Ron2_1

I actually have one of these cars. Looks like a Japanese design to me. For example:

  1. Japanese style ignition key (you turn the key instead of the ignition cylinder). This causes the plastic part of the OEM key to break off from the metal key stock over time). The Ford design was much more reliable.
  2. Mazda style power steering pump. The reservior is separate from the pump. The Ford system has the fluid and pump as one object. I actually like this part better.
  3. Mazda brakes. My older 1984 Escort had really good brakes that never gave me a problem and had a much shorter stopping distance. My
1995 Escort has Mazda brakes which are truly awful in comparison. Drive a modern day Countour to see what Ford brakes are really like.
  1. That crappy Mazda style winshield defrost vent. The only Fords which have this are the ones designed my Mazda (1991-1996 Escort and Probes). It rattles against the windshield. The dealer replaced it 3 times under warranty. After Warranty ran out I put a piece of felt on this dash piece between it an the windshield and it hasn't rattled since. I consider this one of Mazda's design mistakes.

Actually I could make a much longer list of crappy Mazda mistakes that they made on this car. Buy my point is that Ford didn't make these design changes, and it should be obvious as these defects were standard on all Mazdas, but curiously only appearead on Ford if they were Probes and Escorts made from 1991-1996. It can be made or assemebled in the US, but it's still designed by Mazda in Japan. Understand the difference?

Reply to
Childfree Scott

I still have the window sticker for mine. It clearly states that the transmission was made in Japan. I'd call that a Mazda. Besides that, I don't think Ford ever made a transmission for an Escort (I can't say after 1996). They are all Mazda products made in Japan.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Reply to
Thomas Moats