1995 Ford Escort

I have a 1995 Ford Escort. Yesterday the seatbelt light started flashing. It seems to flash 5 times pause and then flash 1. It does this over and over. I
have check the seat belts and don't see any problems. Any idea what is causing this?
Thanks in advance
"Ron2_1" <ron2_1.nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message

Bill
The car is designed by Mazda. The transmission is made my Mazda in Japan 1.8L engine is also made in Japan by Mazda. 1.9L engine is made un USA by Ford, but re-designed by Mazda. Car was assembled in Michigan in 1995. I am not positive if some were also assembled in Mexico in 1995.
Ah....the 1.9 is not a Mazda redesign, it's all USA.

I actually have one of these cars. Looks like a Japanese design to me. For example:
1. Japanese style ignition key (you turn the key instead of the ignition cylinder). This causes the plastic part of the OEM key to break off from the metal key stock over time). The Ford design was much more reliable.
2. Mazda style power steering pump. The reservior is separate from the pump. The Ford system has the fluid and pump as one object. I actually like this part better.
3. Mazda brakes. My older 1984 Escort had really good brakes that never gave me a problem and had a much shorter stopping distance. My 1995 Escort has Mazda brakes which are truly awful in comparison. Drive a modern day Countour to see what Ford brakes are really like.
4. That crappy Mazda style winshield defrost vent. The only Fords which have this are the ones designed my Mazda (1991-1996 Escort and Probes). It rattles against the windshield. The dealer replaced it 3 times under warranty. After Warranty ran out I put a piece of felt on this dash piece between it an the windshield and it hasn't rattled since. I consider this one of Mazda's design mistakes.
Actually I could make a much longer list of crappy Mazda mistakes that they made on this car. Buy my point is that Ford didn't make these design changes, and it should be obvious as these defects were standard on all Mazdas, but curiously only appearead on Ford if they were Probes and Escorts made from 1991-1996. It can be made or assemebled in the US, but it's still designed by Mazda in Japan. Understand the difference?
You kind of took that out of context. I was referring to the USA made ENGINE, i.e. the 1.9 as opposed to the 1.8 which IS Mazda or the 4EAT transmission which is Mazda.................. Not the car in it's entirety. BTW if it has a 1.9 the electronics is also Ford.

On 5 Feb 2004 13:18:05 -0800, scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Childfree Scott) wrote:

Mazda made the car, in Michigan, and Ford's got the engine, the ATX, Ignition, and ECA in it.

I still have the window sticker for mine. It clearly states that the transmission was made in Japan. I'd call that a Mazda. Besides that, I don't think Ford ever made a transmission for an Escort (I can't say after 1996). They are all Mazda products made in Japan.
The transmission is Mazda, a 4EAT. Not the ATX that came in the early Escort. BTW, if the engine is a 1.8 it has Mazda electronics.
(Childfree Scott) wrote:

The seat belt retracts but I don't think it is motorized

I have a 1995 Ford Escort and just recently the seat belt light started flashing. It will flash 5 times, pause then 1 time wait about 10 seconds and repeat. I can't find out what is causing this. Does anyone know what this means?
thanks in advance
The module thinks you are not wearing the seat belt, and is telling you to put it on.

The following info is from the 95 Ford Escort manual( the real ford manual ,not one of those cheap ones). ....A ground switch in the drivers side inboard buckle activates the safety belt warning chime. The safety belt warning chime will sound if the driver`s safety belt is unbuckled.....When you buckle up the alarm should be switched off. You probably have a problem with the switch or a poor ground connection.Good luck.
Thomas Moats wrote:

I'll look again. The light flashes (no Chime) whether you have your belt on or off. It still flashes even if you get out of the car.