1995 Ford Escort Rough Idle

Having a rough idle problem on a 1995 Ford Escort 1.9L. It has

80,000+ miles with new spark plugs, plug wires, and PCV valve. No problems are expeirenced at speed, or take off, only at idle when it is warmed up. It idles at about 600 to 700 RPM, which I thought was about right for an automatic transmission, but the car rattles pretty good.

If I take it up to 900 RPM, it smooths out. I tried getting the trouble codes off of it, but I kept getting the code that says I was doing the procedure wrong or something like that.

Has anyone had a similar problem and found the fix? Idle sensor or EGR valve or something?

Thanks.

Reply to
ejlackey

Vacuum leak is a possibility. Check the PCV hose carefully.

-- Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Reply to
John Keiser

I had replaced the entire PCV hose assembly.

It is definitely pulling a vacuum on the PCV side, because my old hose was so deteriorated that it was collapsing. However, the temporary fix, and the new assembly had no effect on the idle problem.

I should have noted before that this mainly happens when it is in Drive at a stop. I can hear the RPMs go up when I turn on the A/C, but even then it is still rough.

Reply to
ejlackey

I also think it's a vacuum leak.

Reply to