1995 ford taurus loss of spark while driving

1995 taurus 3.0 v6,car died would not restart.checked computer codes:211((pip),and 212(loss of ign. diag. monitor.short to ground in spark output) checked ign.control module,and coil,both are good.any
suggestions what to check is appreciated

how did ya check it
hurc ast
rsd wrote:

How did you check the ignition module? The only sure test is with a "known good" module. Loss of IDM and PIP is usually a good sign of module or dist. pickup failure. With the problems with the Ford TFI module, thats probably the culprit.             Tom

What do you mean? Voltage drop tests will do nicely. If you have a meter that has frequency functions will work nicely also.
pick one wrote:

Lots of folk here dont know how to do a voltage drop test. I know how to do it correctly, you know how to do it correctly, but they may not. And it's not really that accurate, especially on the IDM circuit in the module. I try to offer a down and dirty way for approxomate diagnosis, unless it will harm the vehicle or the poster. The easiest way, in this case, is to connect a "known good" module, given the high failure rate of TFI modules on these vehicles.             Tom

Do yourself a favor and drop prick one into the killfile right alongside hurc.ast. I'd guess both worked for a Ford dealership but neither really knows what the fuck they are doing. Years ago I tested an ignition module on the SBDS with "pass" results. After an hour of testing the different circuits and not finding anything wrong I slapped on a test module.... guess what... the vehicle started right up. Before the SBDS came out a test module was the first step in my "no spark" diagnostic procedure. His voltage drop test is pretty much worthless, along with his advice that a restricted exhaust can't cause overheating. Bob

Not accurate? I suppose a resistance test is? What happens in a DC circuit that has an open?

I took both the coil and icm to parts store for testing.The only way to check with known good part,is to spend $80.00 and buy one and possibly get stuck with something i may not need.With a PIP code ya think I may be looking at bad pickup coil? When this happened the car jerked a couple of times and just shutdown.BTW I appreciate all the input!thanks
UPDATE: I pulled the distributor,replaced it,including pickup coil,icm.Car ran great for about two blocks,then developed same symptoms,total loss of spark