1995 Ford Windstar Brake Problem

About a year ago ford dealership fixed ABS problem of ABS coming on for no reason. Now year later I have different problem. When I brake I feel the vibration under my foot and in the steering wheel. I replaced the pads and checked the rotors were perfectly clean. I also checked the back drums and shoes they were worn but still have some shoes. I am going to replace these in mean time. I don't think it is the back that causing this problem, because when I try to brake with the hand brake only it does not vibrate. Anyone any ideas ?

Reply to
Baljit

Seams your front rotors are warped.

Reply to
Scott M

Check if your rotors are warped, replace if needed. Also check your caliper sliders, if they are seized, that could cause the problem. If the sliders are siezed up, fix them before changing rotors, otherwise the problem will come back in 5000 miles or less.. (Seized sliders only allow the pads to really apply pressure on one side of the rotor..result=warpage)

Easy way to check if it's the back brakes causing the problem is to use the parking brake to slow down the vehicle from 25-40 mph (in a parking lot, or other out of the way place). if the problem happens when you just apply the parking brake (which activates the rear brakes), it's the rear. If it doesn't happen, then it's the front.

My money would be on the front though...

Cheers Tony

97 Taurus
Reply to
Me

I have the same problem, also in a 95 Windstar. If you find out what is going on please let me know. I think there is something wrong in the feedback circuit and it isn't sending the pulses back, but there is another problem too because the noise and degree of vibration.

Reply to
<sandy.hawes

If the ABS is the problem it will make buzzing noises and you feel the pedal go crazy. If the rotors are warped you will just kind of pulse to a stop. The ABS will also be intermittant, the rotors will do it all the time.

Reply to
Scott M

Yes, it is the intemittent buzzing from the ABS (the warped rotors were replaced years ago) but what is the most probable cause? I've cleaned the cog wheel and sensors with no luck. Is there a way to disable the ABS until I can get this fixed?

Reply to
<sandy.hawes

Chances are its a sensor. They are exposed to allot of heat. See if you can find the correct fuse to pull....(disclaimer ; I recommend only qualified techs fix your brakes) The system should disable itself if it finds a fault, then turn the light on. Its been a while since I've worked on a Ford ABS system. If you have a manual it should tell you how to get the code(s) out of it. On that '95 I think you don't need a scan tool, probably just need to ground the correct wire.

Reply to
Scott M