1995 Taurus 3.8 Excessive pressure in the fuel tank

The car runs great when the outside air temp. is cool. Now that summer has arrived, temps here are above 100. Starts and runs fine for about

30-40 miles depending on the temperature. All of a sudden the car lacks power when accelerating, the engine seems to surge while speeding up. Pull over and shut the the car off. I heard a low whistle sound coming from the fuel tank, it was the fuel tank vent hose. I opened the fuel cap and alot of air pressure escaped as well as being sprayed with fuel.

Attempts to fix the problem are as follows: Checked all fuel lines for blockage including the return line from the fuel rail to the tank. No problems Replaced the fuel cap, no change. Replaced the fuel pump, no change. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator, no change. I am not sure what else to check. Please can someone help me with this problem. I drive this car 145 miles a day round trip to work. Only source of transportation. Thanks for any replies!

Reply to
JLSACESUP

"JLSACESUP" wrote: > The car runs great when the outside air temp. is cool. Now > that summer has arrived, temps here are above 100. Starts and > runs fine for about 30-40 miles depending on the temperature. > All of a sudden the car lacks power when accelerating, the > engine seems to surge while speeding up. Pull over and shut > the the car off. I heard a low whistle sound coming from the > fuel tank, it was the fuel tank vent hose. I opened the fuel > cap and alot of air pressure escaped as well as being sprayed > with fuel. > > Attempts to fix the problem are as follows: > Checked all fuel lines for blockage including the return line > from the fuel rail to the tank. No problems > Replaced the fuel cap, no change. > Replaced the fuel pump, no change. > Replaced the fuel pressure regulator, no change. > I am not sure what else to check. Please can someone help me > with this problem. I drive this car 145 miles a day round trip > to work. Only source of transportation. > Thanks for any replies!

i know this sounds too simplistic but could your vent be clogged. If its whistling that means theres alot of pressure and not big enough hole. I would say just drive around with the gas cap loose or off to see if that the problem but on car equipped with EFI that throws off the O2 sensor and turns your engine check light on. not a big deal but the computer has to be reset by your dealership.

Reply to
82Mustang

This will decrease your fuel mileage and harm the environment. The unburned gasoline that you will be putting into the atmosphere and increase smog and ozone.

It is a big deal if you like fresh air.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I believe fuel vapors are supposed to be collected in a special cannister, then slowly fed into the engine to be burned. Maybe that system is clogged up or non-functional.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Sounds like the evap system is not functioning. Check the canister purge solenoid for correct operation and maybe you have a bad charcoal canister or line to the solenoid? Maybe one of the evap lines to/from the fuel tank are broken, crimped, etc. hard to say

Reply to
sleepdog