1995 Windstar- ABS engaging at while trying to stop at slow speed (<10 mph)

I have a Windstar with114k miles. Thankfully, it has been a pretty good van for us. Only recently I have to put some money into it.
When I brake to slow down, these brakes work fine and when I get close
to complete stop, I hear a clink and it feels like that the brakes are not working. If I take my foot off the brakes and press again, it is fine.
I just had my rotors, pads etc. changed to fix this problem. But that was not the problem. My gut feeling is that the ABS is misbehaving at that low speed. I had to change the "gear" in the ABS a few months back because it was worn out (the mechanic showed me). Not sure if the same one is causing this.
Questions for experts :) : 1. any other cause? 2. How to turn off ABS to test my theory? If this is the problem, can I keep ABS off? I don't want to spend too much money on this vehicle.
Thanks, AKG Chicago
by gear do you mean the tone ring on one of the front axles? if so you will need to replace an axle assy. ive seen tone ring replacments & they dont work well. it also could be a wheel speed sensor. & yes you can unplug the abs motor to test. but do your family a favor and fix it properly.