1996 3.0 SOHC Sable erratic temp gauge

Doesn't get hot or overheat.. no bubbles in rad or oil. Goes from the 1/8 to half and down then back up.. not like every second but about every min or
2 while driving..Seen a TSB on it about erratic gauge so I thought I would ask here.. Car has 145k and has sat 1 year.. I thought mayube the thermostat was sticky but it has good heat ?.. Kinda stumped.. Any advice would be great..

Make sure there is no air on the system.
Ed

A new t-stat sure wouldn't hurt. If its not a "instant" move on the gauge I would just change the stat to start.
cool.. I was planning on changing the t stat.. I don't know how to get air out as the thing doesnt have a rad cap.. It has the bottle with lid type Most cars I have had a bleeder valve but his don't I was going to run the car with the rad lid off and see if that helps but we'll see.. Thanx for the replies.

You should also check all the hose connections. Years ago I had a Sable that developed an erratic temperature gauge. It also lost some coolant over time. Eventually I figured out I had a high pressure leak. Whenever the car got to a certain water temperature (and therefore water pressure) some coolant would force its way past a hose clamp connection. This would effectively lower the pressure in the system, allowing more coolant to boil off, which immediately (but briefly) lowered the temperature in the system. I finally located the leak by the white residue the leak left at the leaky connection. In my case it was at the radiator. The original spring clamp on the radiator had been replaced with a worm gear clamp. This had been over torqued and warped the plastic radiator fitting.
Ed