1996 Contour: %&#*(&^&^!! stuck driver's window...

Had to lower the window to get into work this morning...as it was coming back up, it made a couple of crunching noises and stopped two-thirds of the way up. Currently, it won't move at all...the
motor still makes its <vrrr> noise and the under-dash lights dim whenever I hit the button, but that's it. (Actually, the window appears to move a fraction of an inch occasionally, but that's all it does.)
I suppose the first relevant question is: what kind of tools do I need to take the door apart (or if I can find a nice guy in Dallas to do it for me, how much it'd cost me to do THAT) and after that how screwed I'm going to be if it's something serious...
- Will, who really wouldn't have minded if this hadn't happened during a 12-hour shift
Window motor GEAR has broken. New gear motor assembly is about $60 at AutoZone. Door panel pops off pretty easy, but there may be a couple of hidden screws. Three bolts hold the motor to the bottom of the door. If the motor has never been replaced, it may be necessary to drill three holes at the dimpled places on the door to remove/replace the bolts holding the motor.
Bill Crawford wrote:

Much to my surprise, I was actually able to get the window all the way up by basically shifting the window motor between up and down rapidly. Won't go back down now, of course...but at least I now have time to determine if I'm crazy enough to try to replace it myself. :)
- Will, perusing the Haynes manual he bought yesterday
Bill Crawford wrote:

before you listen to anyone on this newsgroup(including me) go to auto zone or pep boys and get a book(haynes book for the contour).. i have been working on cars for about 30 yrs. and have never run across a set up like this.... on our 96 contour the same thing happened, but it was the passenger side.. its the cable inside the window regulator thing... the only trouble is the dealer only sells the whole window regulator and it comes with the motor and all the other stuff... they have alot of plastic caps ontop of screw holes that you will never find without the book(the book had about 3 to 4 pages on the procedure for replacing the window regulator). this also has to be done, the platic part inside the car by the outside mirrow has to come out so you can then remove the whole window glass.. this is so you can get your hand into the small opening inside the door to remove the window regulator.. the dealer had a list price of about $160 for the window regulator, i got it for about $105 or so... and if this is not enough info then go to: www.contour.org and you will not only find out about the window regulator, but also about all other stuff about contours, very informative web site of contour owners... hope this helps.... i would still buy the book for about $12.00... without it you gonna be lost, picture worth 1,000 words...