1996 Escort suspension 'squeak'

Model is 1.8 petrol lx and for about three years! its given a squeak/mild graunch when going over rough surfaces or speed bumps. Its definitely coming from the front passenger side of the car.
I've been told that its likely to be the anti-roll bar bushes or something like that but when I got to the garage they said that it could be anything and could cost hundreds cos they had to swap bits til it stopped....
Now it is reproducable by pushing down sharply on the passenger wing so it should be traceable.... So I thought start whacking some oil around the area likely to be the culprit so far to no avail - However if it is wet and I go through a couple of puddles the sound stops completely and its like driving a different car, so, why would water 'cure' the problem when oil wouldn't?......I can now invariably stop the problem for a while by spraying the hosepipe up and around the passenger front wheelarch, but with hosepipe bans looming what am I going to do !!??? - Help

get a mechanics stethoscope and 'play doctor'... who will be your nurse (wing-pusher-downer)?
you pay..DEAL with it!
its your wishbone bushes split/displaced out of the bonding allways the back one that you carnt see behind the subframe. 2 choices here.... 1)renew the wishbone- cheaper from a discount shop 2)remove the wishbone- renew the bush (by using a press)then refitting
we,ve done loads since all them bloody speed bumps
good luck
ford_technical_ wrote:

Thanks for your reply. When you say discount shop where do you mean? I don't mind paying somebody to supply/fit but what sort of price should I be quoted? Also I presume it will need retracking? Thanks for your time..
i just had a similar problem. my girlfriend's 95 taurus, but it was from the back end. the noise was so bad you could hear it as she drove by. almost spent a lot of money getting the sway bar links replaced, the suspension mounts, sway (stabilizer) bar bushings replaced...turns out the control arm (suspension arm) bushings were the culprit. chassis stethoscope was well worth the money spent. i know there are some similar parts in the front end, and if you've the time and a study set of jackstands - it wasn't too tricky of a job in the rear of the taurus, i assume the front is pretty close - give it a go. labor would have been the bulk of the job, 2-3 hours according to "the book".