1996 Explorer stalls shortly after starting, then is ok

Hi. I have a 1996 Explorer. Recently the check engine light came on, and it began stalling (or trying to stall) the first time you press the gas
after starting it up. Once you can get a couple of pumps of the gas pedal down, it is ok again, it's just the first time, or couple of times, you press the gas that it stalls. Anyone know what may cause this?
Thanks

A problem that is causing the check engine light to go on. Go to AutoZone and get the actual code. They do readings for free at AutoZone.
Jeff
I went to Canadian Tire. Don't know if we have Autozone in Canada. $66 to read the computer. They say based on the codes it looks like a defective mass airflow sensor (whatever that is). Apparently an expensive item, so I'll try to find one at a salvage yard.

Silmarillion wrote:

No, no, no. You can clean it. Do a search here, it's been covered. I'm on my way out but I'll check first thing in the a.m.. If no one has shown you how I will take you through the process step by step. It just needs cleaning but it's a little delicate, that's all.
Frank

That would be great, thanks. Do you mean I can clean just the filter, or the sensor itself can be cleaned and brought back to working condition?
On Sat, 21 May 2005 08:25:46 -0400, "Silmarillion"

You can see similar instructions and pictures here: http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cleanmaf.htm
You will need a set of tamper resistant torx bits available at most decently stocked parts houses. You will need either denatured alcohol or residue-free electrical cleaner which is my preference. You can get it at places like Home depot or a good hardware store.
lugnut wrote:

Here's a link: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article59.html
Sharon K.Cooke wrote:

Hey Sharon, I take it you are around LOL. I see you refer a lot of folks there. Pretty cool, it's one of my regular haunts also. Great site.
            Regards, LSRX101
lugnut wrote:

It's called a T-20 star bit.
On Sat, 21 May 2005 13:58:03 GMT, "F.H."

It is a T-20 Torx bit but, it has the center hollowed out to accommodate the little button in the screw head put there to keep out regular bits. I say a set because you can usually get a set of them to use with a 1/4" socket or nut driver for about $6US. I have no idea where you would look for a single bit in that size with the tamper resiatant feature.
lugnut wrote:

Important distinction. :) I was going to mention the (hole) but.....
I bought mine at Auto Zone, (around 5.00 I think). They have a rack with individual sizes in plastic tubes. Made by Great Neck.

TPX-20 Tamper-Proof Torx bit
Silmarillion wrote:

I know you got a reading but your original description sounds more like the Idle Air Bypass Valve (another easy cleaning job). Dirty MAF usually causes a strange grindy sound upon acceleration (it's pinging).

I think I have the grindy sound you're talking about. I just chalked it up as the sound a truck makes working harder than a car (I have only had the Explorer for a week). The error codes from the shop are P0102 - MAF circuit low input and P1100 - MAF sensor intermittent. I'll go out now and get those bits and cleaner and see if that fixes the problem.
Thank you all for your help and advice, I truly do appreciate it.
Evan
Silmarillion wrote:

When you finish be sure and check that your air filter is snapped in properly and is not dirty.

When a Ford stalls the first thng to do is clean the IAC, throttle bore, and the MAF (the MAF should be cleaned every tune up if you ask me)
Just thought I'd come back and post the solution for anyone who may read this thread while looking for help. The problem in the case of my vehicle was a damaged wire, somewhere between the MAF and the computer. Once the wire was located and replaced, everything works fine.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.