1996 Ford Aerostar Question

I have a 1996 For d Aerostar and it has been running ok for quite awhile. Recently, it has started running like I am sitting in an Apache helicopter. The engine idles pretty rough and sounds like an F150 with big pipes the
higher the RPM's get. It has started to lose power and has a rough time getting up hills that usually weren't a problem before. I think it may have been water that got into the gas tank, but I am no expert. Can anyone tell me what this may be and if you know of some other symptoms I should check to help pinpoint the problem, let me know. Thanks.
TNate Solberg wrote:

Take out the plugs and look at them. That should keep you busy for awhile...
While they're out, do a compression check.
Could be a million things, fouled plug(s), clogged fuel injector(s), bad plug wire(s), coil pack, etc. etc.
Is it the 3.0 or the 4.0?