1996 Ford Ranger DTC 144

I am getting a DTC 144 on a 2.3 4 cyl. 1996 ranger 5 speed. The check engine light is on. Auto Zone read the code and reset the check engine light but came back on. It gets 23 MPG and runs good. The following is given for that code.

144 (M) Oxygen sensor not switching Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control How many sensors does it have?

I have bought a FSM wiring manual but don't have the other manual yet. What should I check for before getting an O2 sensor, and if I replace the sensor should it be from the dealer or another brand. I have read negative comments about Bosch sensors. TIA

Reply to
woody

For some reason, P0144 doesn't show in the factory PC/ED manual... but it is a generic OBD codes signifying the sensor isn't switching and the voltage is high. There are very few things that will drive the mixture rich (compared to the number of things that will drive the mixture lean)... Interesting that the OBD definition is bank 1 sensor 3.... (where yours should only have two sensors).

I think I'd look for a second opinion before recommending any repair attempts.

Reply to
Jim Warman

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:rxjBj.75326$FO1.34302@edtnps82:

Thanks Jim, I am aware that this is not definitive and I will not replace anything until I get some more info. The truck has 104,000 miles and runs good so it would not be a big deal to replace the oxygen sensor if I can't narrow it down. I will wait until I pick up a FSM on ebay as it is not critical at this juncture.

Reply to
tango

woody wrote in news:Xns9A5DA28C19142chico@216.77.188.18:

I found the problem today. I heard what sounded like a small exhaust leak and took the truck to a muffler shop and the catalytic converter has a small leak which would explain the code for an oxygen sensor. I was given a price of 198.00 plus tax for a new converter with a 5 year

50,00 mile warranty. My question is how do I determine what brand, is a good replacement converter as I know little about catalytic converters. Is there any special lubricant or tool used to remove the oxygen sensor. I will not attempt this job but would like to know about any potential problems before I have it done.
Reply to
woody