1996 ford taurus

Sorry if this posts twice. I have a 1996 ford taurus with a V6 3.0 and DOC. I want to change the plugs and wires but can not reach the back one because of the firewall and top of the engine. Does anyone know the correct way to remove these? Do I need to remove the top of the engine? Any assistance is appriciated. Steve

Reply to
steve

  1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

  1. Remove the RH side of the cowl vent screen, and cowl top extension.

  2. Disconnect engine control sensor wiring from the ignition coil. Remove the four ignition coil hold-down screws, and remove the ignition coil to access the spark plugs on cylinders 1, 2 and 3.

  1. Disconnect the electric IMRC actuator electrical connector. Remove the mounting screws, and lay the IMRC actuator aside to access the spark plugs on cylinders 4, 5 and 6.

  2. Disconnect ignition wires from spark plugs:

-Disconnect ignition wires from spark plugs by grasping the ignition wire spark plug boot and twisting slightly in both directions to free it. CAUTION: Do not pull on the ignition wire as it may separate from the connector inside the ignition coil boot.

-Disconnect the ignition wires from the ignition coil by squeezing the locking tabs and twisting while pulling upward.

-Open ignition wire separators and remove ignition wire.

  1. Loosen spark plugs 1/4 turn. Using compressed air, remove any dirt or foreign material from spark plug areas of valve cover.

  1. Note: Mark location of each spark plug for installation.

Remove spark plugs.

  1. Check/adjustreplace spark plugs.

Installation

  1. Follow removal procedure in reverse order.

  1. Tighten spark plugs to 9-20 N-m (80-177 lb-in).

Wire Installation

A)CAUTION: Proper installation of ignition wires is critical to vehicle operation. If one ignition wire is not properly installed on spark plug or ignition coil, both spark plugs connected to that ignition coil may not fire properly.

B)Whenever an ignition wire is removed for any reason from a spark plug or ignition coil, or a new ignition wire is installed, coat the entire interior surface of the spark plug and ignition coil boot with Ford Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound D7AZ-19A331-A (Motorcraft WA-10) or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESE-M1C171-A prior to installation using a small, clean tool.

C)Install each ignition wire to the proper terminal on the ignition coil. The terminals on the ignition coil are numbered. Make sure the ignition coil boots are fully seated and that both ignition coil boot locking tabs are engaged.

D)Route ignition wire through ignition wire separators and close ignition wire separators.

E)Connect ignition wires to spark plugs.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Its simple really, you just have to do it by "feel" A good ratchet with a flex handle and a very short extension(like 1") should do the trick. It sometimes helps to lay down on the engine to reach where you need to. Good luck :)

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Uhhh,no... "No@no" Have you done plugs on THIS engine?? Trainfan1's directions are correct for the 3.0 DOHC...and it really doesn't take that long. Once you remove the cowl piece you get good access to the rear plugs...and I found you DO need to remove the coil to get to the front plugs.

--Don

Don Byrer Commercial Pilot / CFI Student Electronics Technician, RADAR/Data/Comm @ CLE Amateur Radio KJ5KB

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "I know what it sounds like....when doves cry" (Bird Strike 8/29/05)

Reply to
Don Byrer