1996 Lincoln Continental Transmission Problems

My friend has a 1996 Lincoln Continental with transmission problems.
This car will run and drive great for about 1 or 2 months, then all of a sudden, he gets in to drive it, and it will NOT go forward. Reverse works
fine, but it doesn't have much pull going forward. On level ground will will pull a little but it slips really bad. I will not pull enough to be able to drive it. (besides, we're smart enough not to try to drive it if the trans is slipping)
The wierd part is... If he lets it sit for a day or two, he can get in and drive away like nothing was ever wrong. It seems to happen about every month and a half.
I'm thinking that it may be a sticky valve in the transmission. We even disconnected the battery for awhile thinking that it might have something to do with the computer, but I don't believe it had any effect.
If anyone knows what is wrong with this car, please forward a response to my email: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
Thank you very much,
Ty

Time for a tranny overhaul.
Driving while the trans doesn't "appear" to be slipping isn't too smart either...
Given the age of the car, the most efficient use of time and money would be a complete overhaul rather than a spot repair.... continuing to drive it EVEN THOSE TIMES OPERATION APPEARS NORMAL can only add to the overall bill.
A word of advice to all that will listen.... avoiding repairs until the concern gets so bad we can't drive the car will only ever involve more parts and higher costs. Once we are in to the repair process, it is important to realize that the cheapest repair isn't necessarily going to be a financially sound repair.

Nonsense. As you say, given the age and no doubt the mileage of the car, the trans needs an overhaul. The overhaul is going to cost the same whether the transmission is driven into scrap metal or not. The wrecking yards are full of those transmissions so the core value of it is almost nothing, it's not worth trying to baby the core to keep it's value up for whatever reason.

That is true for some things but NOT true for others.
You can drive your tires until they are bald, that isn't going to increase the cost of getting new tires (unless you get into an accident perhaps)

True. But it depends on the issue. For an automatic transmission if you get 100K miles out of it and it starts acting up, chances are very low that if you get it in to the shop really fast that fixing the trans will be any cheaper than if you wait until the trans finally stops working.
In this case the owner is almost certainly better off trading the vehicle into a new car dealer for a newer car and saying nothing about the bad transmission. The new car dealer will immediately wholesale it off to a used car dealer who has a repair shop that they can use to fix the trans far cheaper than the owner could.
Ted
says... |My friend has a 1996 Lincoln Continental with transmission problems.
I had a 67 T-Bird with a C6 tranny that had similar symptoms. It finally quit altogether, only way to go forward was to put it in second gear instead of drive. Time for a full tranny rebuild ? Steve
I think you guys are missing my point... I understand that a tranny overhaul might be the only solution, but...
It's the "WIERD PART" that is confusing me.
This tranny drives out great! It doesn't slip. It shifts out just fine. It pulls hard. He's even taken the car on a couple 1000 mile trips. Then, after about 2 months, when everything is going great, you get in one day and it will not go forward. After a day or two of rest, you can get in and drive away like nothing was ever wrong, and you won't have to worry about it for about 1 1/2 to 2 months.
The last time it gave us trouble, we disconnected the battery overnight. The next day everything was fine. Before, it seemed to have taken 2 or 3 days to fix itself.
I'm looking for a logical explaination of why this tranny would act this way.
Ty