1996 Lincoln Continental with transmission problems

I think you guys are missing my point... I understand that a tranny overhaul might be the only solution, but...
It's the "WIERD PART" that is confusing me.
This tranny drives out great! It doesn't slip. It shifts out just fine. It pulls hard. He's even taken the car on a couple 1000 mile trips. Then, after about 2 months, when everything is going great, you get in one day and it will not go forward. After a day or two of rest, you can get in and drive away like nothing was ever wrong, and you won't have to worry about it for about 1 1/2 to 2 months.
The last time it gave us trouble, we disconnected the battery overnight. The next day everything was fine. Before, it seemed to have taken 2 or 3 days to fix itself.
I'm looking for a logical explaination of why this tranny would act this way.
Ty

Likely something is sticking in the valve body, either a solenoid, actuator, or check valve. After the vehicle sits, the sticking item "loosens up" either becasue it oozed slightly, or broke loose do to temperature cycling. If it is a solenoid sticking, then maybe you won't damage anything by driving the car. However, it is possible that driving the car with a partially engaged actuator or a leaking check valve might lead to further damage. At the very least I'd consider having the fluid flushed and the filter replaced. I don't see any way it is going to get better if you do nothing.
Ed
If this is one of the ford transmissions with the electrical control/switch on the side of the tanny case, it may be that the switch is bad. Comparatively speaking, it's relatively cheap to replace the switch. I think it's called the MPC but don't recall what that might stand for.

Ty wrote:

FWIW, Isuzu's are famous for a variation of this. Something about spiking voltage tweeking the computer. With ours, it can be working fine and then you pull up to a stop sign and it doesn't want to take hold. Turn the engine off and restart and its back to normal. When I put a new alternator on ours it improved it 90%. Still does it every once in a while.
if you have an ammco trans shop in your area, they can do a scan on the trans for freeto see what the problem is.. lucas
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 07:01:57 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

I would junk a car before I let anyone from Aamco near it. Anyone using Aamco should bring their own jar of anal lube. Spend your time and money on something worthwhile and give it to a wineo! Their are many good independant shops who are competent and reasonably priced.
Lugnut