1996 mustang gt check engine light

My wife has a 1996 Mustang GT convertible. We bought it new in 1996 and it gets service at regular intervals. Just today the check engine light came on for the first time.

I typically do my own work, but haven't had any reason to work on this particular car as this is the first time anything has failed.

Is there a way to find out the trouble code without having access to a diagnostic computer? In previous cars, I could short two wires together on the diagnostic connector and the check engine light would blink in a pattern that would tell me what codes were stored. Is there any such trick for the '96 GT?

Thanks.

Ron

-

Nelp: Contraction of "no help". Colloquial: Helpmessages that are of no help whatsoever. Pretains to help files,messages or documentation that convey no useful information, orpedantically repeat the blindingly obvious.

Reply to
Ronald O. Christian

Check to see if your local auto parts supplier will provide a free reading of your diagnostic code - here in New England, all the Auto Zone stores do. I believe your car is equipped with the new industry standard OBDII diagnostics. The readers for these systems are very expensive to buy, but fortunately, lots of places like Auto Zone will read them for free. The plug port is usually under the dash near the steering column.

Reply to
Chris Bowne