1996 Remote Keyless Entry

Hi,
Recently my remote control didn't work well. The range was getting shorter and finally stopped working. I figured it's been 11 years. It must be the battery. So, I replaced two CR2016 batteries in the remote
control. To my surprise, it still did not work. I've veried that the + side is down.
I know it must have been asked hundreds of times. Please bear with me. Actually, I've checked the old posts and followed the programming tips. I could follow the steps until I pushed the button after the reprogrammiing program activated. (the door got locked and unlocked) I simply couldn't get the confirmation after I pushed the button. Tried several time and failed.
Any tips. Do I have to go the the dealer?
Thanks in advance.
/Bruce
you can buy remotes on ebay for prices around$9.99 to $14.99