1996 Taurus Fuel Gauge Problem

I just bought a 1996 Ford Taurus with 3.0L FFv. After I bought the car I went to fill it up and it took $3.00 and the gauge read above the Full mark on the gauge. After running over 200 miles the gauge still read above
full. The gauge will drop to empty when the car is off and creep back over full soon after starting the car. The "miles to empty" digital readout below the gauge reads 0 all the time. Does this sound like a "sending unit" problem? Also, where is the unit located on the tank and what is the actual fuel tank capacity on a 1996 Taurus?
Warmest Regards, Rick Toledo, OH
Definitely sounds like a sending unit problem. I had a Chrysler product that did the same thing.
Don't know where the unit is on this beast's tank.
The actual fuel capacity is 15 or 18 gallons, I believe. (I have a 99 model).
Greg