1996 Taurus/water pump?

Any suggestions from this elite group most appreciated. Temp. reading fluctuates on 1996 Taurus, just installed a different 3.0 engine..
Subject: Re: Taurus
Date: Thursday, April 22, 2004 10:53 AM
It's good thinking. The mechanic did that first thing after he put the engine in.
Strange thing is after running for about an hour - if I have the heat on - the heat will go down to where its just putting out fair heat. If I rev the engine the heat will get back to the temp it is supposed to (hot).
Indicates to me either a water pump not pumping adequately at low rpms or maybe air in the system causing a slow down / stop in circulation.
I'm going to run it for awhile and keep putting water in to see if it is air needing purging.
Strange problem.

Ralph Griffith opined in

That's the usual sign of an air pocket..
There is a TSB on the taraus cooling system too. A mod kit available. Check and see if you have that installed already.