1996 Windstar Check Engine Light

What is the problem with the 96 Windstar? Check engine light came on a few days again, I took it to an independent shop and they said it was a bad oxygen sensor. They replaced both of them, after a day the light returned.
Too it to one of the national chains and they checked the computer and got error code P0156 which they said was an oxygen sensor fault. They couldn't find anything wrong with the oxygen sensor so they reset the computer and told us to drive it for a few days. The next day the light came back on while driving on the freeway. Took it back to them, checked the computer and got the same code. Now, they think it may be a wiring problem! What is the problem with the 96 Windstar?
you guys may have air intake issues or poor burn of fuel... the o2 sensor can only do so much to try and make the engine run clean.. if the plugs are weak or there is not enough flow thorugh the throttle body then it will not burn all the gas.. not burning all the gas will not only affect o2 sensor readints but will clog the cat
Kenny

few
returned.
couldn't
is
x-no-archive: yes
Mine passed the Washington State emissions test wither the Check Engine light on. Would what you are talking about cause an emissions test to fail.
| > What is the problem with the 96 Windstar? Check engine light came on a | few | > days again, I took it to an independent shop and they said it was a bad | > oxygen sensor. They replaced both of them, after a day the light | returned. | > Too it to one of the national chains and they checked the computer and got | > error code P0156 which they said was an oxygen sensor fault. They | couldn't | > find anything wrong with the oxygen sensor so they reset the computer and | > told us to drive it for a few days. The next day the light came back on | > while driving on the freeway. Took it back to them, checked the computer | > and got the same code. Now, they think it may be a wiring problem! What | is | > the problem with the 96 Windstar? | > | > | |
Probably nothing wrong with the wiring. P0156 Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S 22) circuit malfunction (Bank #2) That would be the converter monitor, not the O2 sensor the processor uses to check it's fuel calculations. The mechanic probably change the wrong sensor, very common.

The upstream and downstream O2 sensor was replaced. The check engine light still persists.

few
returned.
got
couldn't
and
computer
What is

Your mechanic needs to do some diagnosing, not just scanning for codes and replacing parts. There could be a number of things that will cause the converter monitor code, namely anything that changes the oxygen content in the exhaust stream. Incorrect fuel pressure, slight exhaust restriction, EGR not working correctly, incorrect flow from the PCV as well as many other items.

What motor do you have?
I have a 95 windstart 3.8L, and I have 4 O2 sensors. Two upstream sensors, and two down stream sensors.
Perhaps they changed the wrong sensor?
Take Care, James Lerch http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge
x-no-archive: yes This sounds so similar to what my Aerostar is doing. I had the oxygen sensor replaced. If you find out what the problem is, PLEASE post it. My mechanic is at wits end. Another poster here suggested something about a mass air flow wire maybe being broken. I am trying to get up the nerve to print that up and take it to my mechanic. Mechanic has dismissed my other thoughts, so I am not looking forward to it.
Is yours running rough? If it weren't for the fact that the engine on mine is running quite rough when the light is on, I would consider poking the light out. It is still somewhat tempting.. Anyway, please post the fix, when you find it. I will do the same.
| What is the problem with the 96 Windstar? Check engine light came on a few | days again, I took it to an independent shop and they said it was a bad | oxygen sensor. They replaced both of them, after a day the light returned. | Too it to one of the national chains and they checked the computer and got | error code P0156 which they said was an oxygen sensor fault. They couldn't | find anything wrong with the oxygen sensor so they reset the computer and | told us to drive it for a few days. The next day the light came back on | while driving on the freeway. Took it back to them, checked the computer | and got the same code. Now, they think it may be a wiring problem! What is | the problem with the 96 Windstar? | |
It probably needs a CAT. if that code is for a downstream O2. Its a '96 after all. How many miles? I'll guess about 90K at least...? Either way it can be diagnosed.......

few
returned.
couldn't
is