1997 Aerostar starter- thunk when starting

Just after I start my 1997 Ford Aerostar, I hear a thunk then the key is released. It is definitely coming from the engine and not the ignition switch. I once had a truck where the soleniod (sp) got sticky
and wouldn't cone back into place properly.
Could this be the case here?
Also replacing a starter in a Aerostar- is that a "bolt off/bolt on operation"???
Thanks on advance!
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

They are all bolted on... trick is how easy they are to get to.
Get a flashlight, pull it over a ditch, crawl under. For diagrams log onto autozone.com and enter vehicle, select repair.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Bump! to top!
Thanks for the advise. But they have no diagrams for the Aerostar. I know in the past, I've seen that some ofthe parts (I believe the entire engine and cooling system) on the Aerostar are shared with the Ford Ranger-
I wonder if the starter diagrams are similar???
Thanks again!
It is a simple bolt off bolt on setup for the Aerostar. Assuming you've done it before, allow for about 15 minutes. Was real easy on my '92 until some bozo in a Shivvy Astro t-boned it....grumble

Heh... ever think about the irony of that? I mean it could'a been a Caravan, even, but a competitor RWD!
you pay..DEAL with it!