1997 escort clutch

When releasing the clutch pedal I get a shudder when the transmission is engaging the engine. Is there an adjustment for this or is this an indication of clutch replacement? If replacement is necessary any tips to make the job easier? Thanks for any help, dugant

Reply to
dugant

Usually a sign of a contaminated clutch disc.... oil or similar fluid.... replacement is the best recourse. Without some talent and some higher end tooling, this will be a PITA.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for the response. Having read the service manual, I am confident that I should be able to replace the clutch plate. What else should I do on a weekend? Thanks, dugant

Reply to
dugant

Why drink beer and get greasy, of course.

How many miles? Assuming you have a GT or stripped down LX. It can be done if you have a floor jack to raise and lower the tranny. I did it on a 1990 without removing the engine like the manual said had to be done. Take your time.

Reply to
sleepdog

"" wrote: > When releasing the clutch pedal I get a shudder when the > transmission is > engaging the engine. Is there an adjustment for this or is > this an > indication of clutch replacement? > If replacement is necessary any tips to make the job easier? > Thanks for any help, > dugant

I just replaced one in my 1999 Escort . The trans is the same so I would surmise that everything is pretty much the same . I pulled the struts and after disconnecting everything the trans will turn and come out without pulling the engine . Make sure to use a plastic clutch alignment tool when installing the new clutch . Good Luck . Gideon

Reply to
Gideon